Do you have a painful pimple in the ear? This can be annoying and the first thing that comes to mind is how to get rid of this unpleasant zit. However, popping a pimple inside the ear is not a good idea. Like pimples on the face, back, or chest, zits in the ear can also get infected. Trying to pop it can result in further infection.
What are the Causes of Pimple in Ear
There are many factors that cause the development of pimples in the ear. It can appear in the ear canal or in the cartilage. One of the causes of a pimple in the ear is the build-up of bacteria from using headphone, earbuds, or sticking finger inside the ear. Other causes of acne or a pimple include:
- Hormonal imbalance – If you think that pimples are developing due to hormonal imbalance, consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. The symptoms of hormonal imbalance in women include night sweats, PMS, weight gain, low libido, foggy memory, insomnia, fatigue, depression, mood swings, fibrosis, vaginal dryness, and endometriosis.
- Stress – Another factor that can cause a pimple in the ear is stress. You can reduce your stress levels by meditating, exercising, hanging out with family or friends, taking time to relax, or taking a thirty-minute walk.
- Foods – Certain foods can trigger pimples and acne breakout. Consuming a lot of processed foods, fast foods or greasy foods can be the cause of pimples. Make sure that you eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, nuts, and lean meat in your diet.
- Allergies – a Pimple in the ear can also be a sign of allergic reaction to certain medications, cosmetics, or vitamins.
- Earbuds – Using the earbuds improperly can result in germ build-up. Instead of taking the earwax, buds are pushing them further inside the ear canal.
Natural Solutions to Get Rid of Pimple in Ear
Keep in mind that popping your pimple should be avoided. Do not try to stab it with any pointy object as it may cause further infections. Simply follow these safe and effective remedies to get rid of a pimple in ear fast.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel contains powerful anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can eliminate the bacteria in the ear. This herb can also alleviate the pain and inflammation caused by a pimple. Here’s how to cure a pimple in the ear with aloe vera gel.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel in a small bowl.
- After washing your hand thoroughly, apply enough amount of gel to a pimple.
- Leave it on for at least thirty minutes before wiping it off.
- Repeat this treatment two times a day until a pimple is gone.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Another effective solution for treating a pimple in the ear is tea tree oil. It contains potent antibacterial properties that can purge the bacteria that cause pimples. It can also alleviate the swelling and accelerate the healing process of the skin.
- Mix one teaspoon of tea tree oil with nine teaspoons of water. Do not apply undiluted tea tree oil.
- Apply the solution directly to a pimple using a Q-tip.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice to heal a pimple immediately.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can also get rid of a pimple in the ear by using apple cider vinegar. It contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can effectively purge the bacteria that cause a pimple. This solution can also prevent further infection. Applying ACV in the area can also reduce the production of oil by balancing the skin’s pH level.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with one tablespoon of water.
- Stir it well and soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Squeeze out the excess water. Wipe a pimple gently using the cotton ball.
- Place the cotton ball on the pimple for two minutes then throw it in the trash can.
- Repeat this treatment three to four times daily to eliminate a pimple in the ear.
The allicin compound in garlic contains powerful antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties, making it one of the best natural ways of getting rid of pimples. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the swelling and pain.
- Crush four to six cloves of garlic.
- In a pan, add two tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Add the crushed garlic in the pan and heat it up in low flame.
- Once the garlic cloves become back, separate the oil and wait for it to cool down.
- Apply the oil to a pimple using a Q-tip.
- Repeat this treatment two to three times daily.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemons contain citric acid and astringent properties that can dry out a pimple in the ear while killing the micro-organisms that caused it. It can also alleviate the pain for instant relief. Here’s how to get rid of a pimple with lemon juice.
- Cut a fresh lemon and squeeze out its juice.
- Soak a clean Q-tip and apply it directly to a pimple.
- Allow it to dry and reapply as many times as needed.
If you have sensitive skin, make sure that you mix lemon juice with water before application.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is excellent in eliminating infections caused by bacteria. It can also decrease the production of sebum to prevent acne or pimple breakout inside the ear.
- Soak a cotton ball in hydrogen peroxide.
- Put it on the pimple for three minutes until the hydrogen peroxide becomes dry.
- Repeat this treatment two times a day to get rid of a pimple in the ear.
7. Epsom Salt
Another inexpensive treatment for a pimple in the ear is Epsom salt. It helps in getting rid of the bacteria in the ear while restoring the normal pH level of the skin. Here’s how to use Epsom salt to cure the affected area.
- Mix one teaspoon of Epsom salt with a one-half cup of hot water.
- Stir it well to dissolve the salt completely. Wait for the solution to cool down.
- Soak a cotton pad in the solution.
- Apply it directly on the pimple and let it sit for ten minutes.
- Repeat this treatment two to three times a day until a pimple is healed.
8. Tomato Juice
Tomatoes are packed with antioxidants that can accelerate the healing process of the skin while fighting against bacterial infection. It also helps in drying out the pus while alleviating pain, inflammation, and swelling.
- Squeeze out the juice of fresh tomato in a bowl.
- Apply it to the pimple using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about half an hour before wiping the area with a cotton pad.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day.
Milk contains alpha hydroxy acid that can unclog the pores. Applying it to the skin can help in removing skin impurities and dead skin cells. It also speeds up the healing process of the skin to effectively get rid of a pimple.
- Dip a cotton ball in milk. Squeeze out the extra milk.
- Apply it on the pimple and hold it still for ten minutes.
- Rinse the area with cool water.
- Repeat this treatment three to four times a day until a pimple is gone.
10. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel contains antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, and astringent properties that can help in getting rid of a pimple on the face, back, chest, or in the ear. It is also used for treating bruises, bug bites, and minor cuts. Here’s how to use witch hazel for treating pimples or acne.
- Pour a few drops of witch hazel in one-fourth cup of water.
- Soak a cotton ball or Q-tip in the mixture.
- Apply it on the pimple. There is no need to rinse it off.
- Repeat this treatment as many times as needed to heal the area.
Basil is not only a delicious ingredient in many dishes. This herb contains potent antibacterial properties, which is effective in curing and preventing acne and pimples. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in alleviating the redness and swelling of the area.
- Crush a few leaves of fresh basil.
- Take the juice from the crushed leaves.
- Dip a Q-tip or a cotton ball in the juice and apply it directly on the pimple.
- Allow it to dry on its own.
- Repeat this treatment two times daily until a pimple is gone.
Cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde, which purges the bacteria present in the skin. It also prevents it from spreading to other areas of the ear. Here’s how to get rid of a pimple in the ear with cinnamon powder.
- Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder with one teaspoon of raw honey to make a paste.
- Use a Q-tip to apply the paste on the pimple.
- Let it sit for at least thirty minutes before wiping it off with a wet tissue.
- Repeat this treatment twice or thrice a day.
These are the best and natural ways to get rid of a pimple in the ear. If the problem still persists, visit your doctor. Depending on your needs, your doctor may recommend topical medication, Benzoyl peroxide, systemic drugs, or antibiotics.