How to get rid of jock itch at home? Jock itch, also known as tinea cruris, is a form of ringworm. This condition is caused by a fungus that grows in warm, moist areas of the body. So it usually appears in your buttocks, the groin, inner thighs, and sometimes even the genital area.
Jock itch is not a severe medical condition. However, it may make you feel embarrassed and frustrated when you have this condition. Fortunately, there are some natural home remedies to get rid of jock itch fast. This article lists the 12 best home remedies to get rid of Jock Itch naturally.
Before introducing these methods, we also need to understand the symptoms and common causes of Jock Itch.
Jock itch can be caused by many reasons, including excessive sweating, being overweight, tight clothing, and a weak immune system. This condition is common among athletes and fat people because they sweat a lot. It usually affects both men and women, but men tend to get it more often.
Symptoms of Jock Itch
Here are some signs you should watch out for:
- A red and itchy rash appears in the groin area.
- A rough patch with bumps on the ring-shaped edges looks like blisters.
- Intense and persistent itch with a red or pink rash in the groin area.
- Flaking, peeling, or cracking skin around the groin area.
- Burning Sensation of the skin near the groin area.
- Utah gets worse with exercise.
- You may feel excess itching and irritation.
- The rashes may spread to the buttocks or inner thighs quickly.
Common Causes of Jock Itch
- Trichophyton rubrum is a leading fungus cause of Jock Itch and athlete’s foot.
- Excessive sweating and wearing tight underwear are also the main causes of Jock itching. Wearing tight underwear can reduce air circulation and cause your groin area to be moist and warm. This environment will encourage the growth of fungi.
- Sometimes Jock Itch may also spread through skin contact or other mediums such as clothes and towels.
- Obesity will make you sweat more easily than normal people, so overweight people or athletes are more vulnerable to jock itch.
- The weak immune system reduces the body’s resistance to fungi. This can easily lead to a jock itch.
- You might be more likely to get a jock itch if you have allergies. Many people who have allergies are sensitive to certain fabrics, so you may want to try different types of underwear to see if that helps.
- Stress and anxiety can also make the jock itch worse.
Is Jock Itch contagious?
Usually, it is not contagious. But it can be mildly contagious under certain conditions. For example, close skin contact or wearing clothing or towels used by people with Jock itch can transmit the Fungal.
However, even if you have been in contact with people with skin disease, you don’t need to worry too much. If you don’t have a warm, moist environment that supports fungal growth, you usually do not get this disease.
12 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Jock Itch Forever
You might be surprised to know that there are home remedies that you can do. The great thing about home remedies is that most of the ingredients you need can be found in the kitchen.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can help eliminate Jock Itch effectively. The acids in ACV can kill fungi and prevent them from spreading to other parts of your body.
Additionally, it contains many minerals and vitamins that can promote the healing process of the affected area.
- First of all, wash the affected area with a mild antibacterial soap.
- Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a cup of lukewarm water.
- Place the solution on the affected area with a clean cloth.
- Do not wipe the area and let it dry on its own.
- Do this about 2 – 3 times a day until the rashes dissipate.
Note: You’d better apply this method in the morning and before going to bed.
- Mix a half-cup of apple cider vinegar with two cups of lukewarm water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the affected area gently.
- Repeat it 3 times a day for a few weeks.
- After applying this solution, you will get rid of the itching immediately.
2. White Vinegar
If you think that only apple cider vinegar is impressive against jock itch, you should know that white vinegar can also be fresh for a certain effect. White vinegar contains anti-fungal properties that can help eliminate the bacteria causing the infection.
- Mix a cup of vinegar with about 4 cups of water.
- Use a piece of clean cloth and dip it in the solution that you have created.
- Place the cloth dipped in water and vinegar on the affected area. Use the cloth to wipe off the bacteria and leave it to dry.
- Do this 2 – 3 times daily for the best results.
- Mix a cup of vinegar with a cup of coconut oil.
- Rub the combination on the infected areas.
- Wait for 60 minutes and wash it off.
- Do this every day until you see visible results.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is already commonly used for different types of skin infections. It has previously been used several times to get rid of various skin bacteria that might have caused people itchiness of the skin. Tea tree oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties, which can help relieve inflammation and itchiness.
- Make sure that you have tea tree oil and a clean cotton ball.
- Place the tea tree oil on the cotton ball and apply it to the affected area.
- Do this about twice a day.
- Mix four drops of tea tree oil with one ounce of coconut oil in a small cup.
- Apply it to the affected area twice a day. Make sure to dilute the tea tree oil first because tea tree oil is irritating.
- Do this about twice a day.
4. Rubbing alcohol
One of the main reasons alcohol is very useful in getting rid of jock itch is that it makes the area dry. Since the fungus or the bacteria causing the jock itch loves to live in warm, moist areas, using alcohol can dry a specific area excellently, and this will help get rid of the jock itch.
- Find alcohol with a high isopropyl amount. The higher the amount is, the better it will be. The highest that can be found on the market right now that is still safe for use is 90%.
- Place the alcohol on a clean cotton ball.
- Dab the cotton ball in the affected area. Do remember that you do not need to wipe it because it will evaporate on its own.
- Do this as often as you like throughout the day.
At this point, you may be wondering why there is a need for Listerine when it is commonly used for cleaning the mouth. Listerine contains Eucalyptol, which has antibacterial and anti-fungal effects. This will help wipe off the bacteria and fungi. This will help you get rid of Jock Itch fast. At the same time, it also contains menthol, which can help relieve pain.
- Wash the affected area with anti-fungal soap and allow it dry.
- Place ample Listerine on the cotton ball and apply it to the affected area with a clean cotton ball.
- Leave it on, and do not wash it off.
- Do this about two to three times a day for relief.
You may be initially scared to use bleach because you use it for clothes or cleaning things around the house. Still, bleach has anti-swollen, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help eliminate the infection.
- Mix a small amount of bleach in a whole tub of water.
- Soak in the tub for about 10 – 15 minutes, depending on how long you think you should soak.
- Do this every other day until you see visible results.
7. Salt Bath
Salt is known to have a lot of good properties that can help get rid of the infection. Aside from the fact that it can help stop the growth of the fungus so that it will not spread, it will also help the itch heal so that it can just disappear.
- Fill a tub with warm water
- Place a very generous amount of salt in the tub. Do remember that any salt can be used.
- Soak in the tub for about half an hour.
- Do these processes twice a day until you see the result.
- Fill a tub with warm water.
- Add a cup of Epsom salt and two cups of oatmeal to the water.
- Soak in the tub for about 30 minutes.
- For more relaxation, you can also add some lavender oil.
Note: Remember that the water temperature is not too hot; otherwise, it will hurt the skin.
Garlic is well known to help ward off vampires and the like but kidding aside. Garlic can also help eliminate jock itch because it has anti-fungal properties.
It can also help relieve the infected area from burning sensation and irritation. The pain brought about by the jock itch may not be felt that much.
- Crush a few garlic cloves until it becomes pasty, and place them on the affected area.
- Leave the paste on the skin for about a few minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Do this 2 – 3 times daily.
- Add some drops of olive oil to the garlic cloves.
- Rub it on the infected areas.
- Do this 2 – 3 times daily.
- You can also eat garlic to enhance your immunity.
Note: Make sure you don’t use this method if you are allergic to garlic.
Many people are unaware that onions have antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can help eliminate jock itch. Onion is a useful fungi killer and can help eliminate the fungi causing the jock itch quickly.
- Grind the onion until it becomes pasty in appearance.
- Place the onion paste on the solution and leave it there for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Do this once or twice daily.
Honey has antioxidant, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve the effects of jock itch on the skin. You’d better use organic honey because it is more effective in killing fungi or ringworm.
- Apply a generous amount of clean honey on the skin.
- Leave the honey on the skin for about half an hour.
- Wash off after 30 minutes and dry the area with a clean cloth.
- Do this once or twice every day.
- Mix a tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil in a small cup.
- Apply it to the affected area. Leave it on the skin for about half an hour.
- Wash off and pat dry the area with a soft towel.
- Do this once every day until you get rid of the jock itch.
- Mix some drops of honey with minced garlic.
- Apply it to your itchy area. Leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Wash it off and dry the area.
- Do this once a day.
11. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has natural anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that can effectively treat jock itch and other skin infections. It also has deep cleansing elements and a powerful anti-infection and pain-relieving quality. It will also help heal wounds fast and prevent the scar format.
- Mix a few drops of lavender oil with a tablespoon of carrier oil such as almond oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil.
- Apply it to your itchy area, then rub the itchy area gently 2-3 times a day.
- Prepare a cold diffuser next to your bed.
- Add a couple of drops of pure lavender oil to the cold diffuser.
- Use the diffuser to treat jock itch for about 15-20 minutes. This will also help you relax and let you get better sleep.
12. Aloe Vera
Another quick way to get rid of jock itch is using Aloe Vera. It has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve your jock itch.
In addition, Aloe Vera contains glycoprotein, which can help relieve the pain and inflammation of the skin. Remember to use fresh aloe vera gel to give you a better effect.
- Break off a fresh leaf from aloe with a knife.
- Cut Aloe vera leaves open lengthwise from top to bottom.
- Rub the gooey gel from the leaf onto irritated skin and massage gently.
- Leave it on the skin for about half an hour and wash it off.
What to eat to Get Rid of Jock Itch?
It is also important to eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and yogurt. These foods contain nutrients that are important for skin health. Additionally, yogurt contains probiotics that can help to fight off the fungus that causes jock itch.
How to Prevent Jock Itch?
- Keeping the affected area clean and dry
- Always change your clothes, and keep your inner thighs, groin, and buttocks clean.
- Remember to dry your feet last when you have a show after exercise.
- Applying a topical antifungal cream or powder to the affected area.
- Taking a bath or shower with an antifungal soap.
- Wearing loose-fitting, breathable clothing.
- Avoiding tight-fitting clothing or clothing that traps moisture.
- Avoiding sharing towels, clothing, or other personal items with others.
- Practicing good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly.
- If you have an athlete’s foot make sure to put your socks on before underwear to prevent the spread of the fungus from your feet to the groin.
If home remedies don’t seem to be working, or if the infection is severe, it’s important to see a doctor, as jock itch can sometimes be a sign of a more serious condition.