Want to know the best remedies to get rid of pimples fast? First, you should understand the physiology behind it. Pimples are also known as zits, spots, bumps, pustules, papules, or Acne. It is an inflammation of the skin that occurs when the oil glands (sebaceous glands) get clogged and infected from bacteria or swell up. The main cause of pimples is the excess sebum secretion by the sebaceous glands.
Pimple is a normal skin condition for many people especially teenagers because the sebaceous glands will produce more oil under the influence of androgens. It is estimated that 80 percent of teenagers will suffer from pimples. Pimples can occur on the face, forehead, upper back, neck, chest, upper arms, and even the shoulders.
Common Causes of Pimples
- Clogged Pores: This is the most common cause of acne lesions. Pimples usually occur when the hair pores are clogged by dirt, oil, bacteria, too much sebum, and dead skin cells.
- Genetics – Genetic factors are important causes of acne. Your genetic may determine the sensitivity, oiliness, dryness, and resistance to bacteria. Those whose parents have pimples are more likely to suffer from acne.
- Hormonal changes– Hormonal fluctuations is one of the most common causes of acne. Hormonal changes in adolescents can cause more sebum production and prevent the expulsion of dirt and dead skin cells, leading to acne. In addition, Women during pregnancy or the menstrual cycle may also suffer acne due to hormonal fluctuations.
- Stress- In 2003, Stanford University published a study to analyze whether stress actually causes acne. Participants included 7 men and 15 female students. Studies have shown that students are more likely to have acne during the exam. According to Lisa A. Garner, an expert in dermatology at the University of Texas. Stress may cause more sebum and blocked hair follicles, leading to acne.
- Smoking– Is acne related to smoking? There’s still not a definitive answer now. Many studies have achieved completely opposite results. So this question may require more medical research.
- Too much alcohol- Excessive alcohol consumption may disturb the balance of the hormone levels in your body. In addition, alcohol can damage your liver and reduce the ability to clean up toxins. This may weaken your immune system and cause bacterial invasion, lead to acne.
- Bad Hygienic Habits – Some bad habits, such as not washing your face frequently, using cosmetic that contains chemicals, or sleeping without removing makeup, can easily cause clogged pores and lead to acne.
- Medications-Some medications contain corticosteroids, lithium, or androgens that can cause hormonal fluctuations and lead to acne.
- Foods rich in carbs and dairy products-Some foods have been proven to more likely trigger acne. Dairy products such as milk contain a hormone that can cause more sebum production and lead to pimples. The foods rich in sugar can increase your blood sugar and insulin levels. This will increase sebum production and worsen the existing acne. In addition, Carbohydrates such as whole grains can also cause high sugar and more insulin.
15 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Pimples Naturally
Ice cubes are excellent for treating pimple that has not infected thoroughly, ice can help reduce the swelling, redness, and inflammation of the skin. It also helps the oil organs to push out the dirt, abundance oil, microbes. In addition, it can help improve blood circulation and make your skin pores tight.
- First, clean your skin with a bar of mild soap and keep it fresh.
- Wrap a block of ice in a thin cloth. Remember not to apply ice directly on the skin, otherwise, it may harm the skin.
- Keep the wrapped ice on the top of a pimple for a few seconds. Do not exceed one minute, otherwise, it may harm the surrounding skin.
- Remove the ice cubes, wait for 5 minutes, and repeat the above process if necessary.
Another quick way to get rid of pimples is the use of Honey which contains preservatives that can prevent the growth of bacteria and pathogenic microorganisms in your pore. It also has anti-inflammatory qualities that can reduce the redness, swelling, and infections of the skin.
In addition, honey is a natural humectant that helps preserves moisture in your skin so you can get rid of the peeling and dryness naturally.
- First, clean your skin with mild soap and lukewarm water. Remember not to use a scrub or towel because this may cause your skin irritation.
- Dab raw honey directly onto the affected area with a clean, sterile cotton-tipped application.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and massage the skin gently to promote skin absorption.
- Wash the skin with warm water and repeat the process twice a day.
- Another option is to make a thick paste with honey and cinnamon powder. Apply this mixture to your face and wait for half an hour. Wash your face with warm water.
Note: Make sure to use raw honey and avoid processed honey products, you can find the raw honey at your local food store. Processed honey products may irritate your skin. This may cause your pimples worse.
Another effective treatment to get rid of pimples is to use fresh lemon juice. It contains vitamin C which can help kill the bacteria or microscopic organisms and reduce the redness caused by acne. In addition, the acid in lemon juice can help constrict the skin tissues and push the overabundance oil out of your skin.
- Wash your face with mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Dry your face for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut and squeeze a fresh lemon into a bowl. Dilute the fresh lemon juice with some water.
- Dab a clean cotton ball soaked in fresh lemon juice to your affected area. You may feel some stinging or itching. This is normal. However, if you have sensitive skin this remedy is not suitable for you.
- Leave the lemon juice on your face for 20 minutes to let the acid absorbed by your skin.
- Wash your face with warm water.
- Another option is to make a mixture of lemon cinnamon powder and juice. Apply it on the top of pimples for one hour. This will help you get rid of pimples fast, However, if you have sensitive skin you should avoid this method.
Joshua Zeichner, M.D. from Mount Sinai hospital in New York said toothpaste contains essential oils, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, alcohol, menthol, triclosan which help kill acne-causing bacteria and dry out pimples. However, toothpaste is meant for teeth and not skin so it may irritate the skin and cause redness, peeling even burning.
Touch some white toothpaste to the influenced area of the skin for 2 hours, wash your skin with water, and dry.
Note: Toothpaste can be quite irritating to the skin, so it is important that you use the correct technique. Make sure read this guide before you try this method.
Steaming is excellent for treating acne and pimples. It can “open” your pores and flush the dead skin cells, oil, bacteria, and dirt out. This helps purify your pores and make your skin smooth.
- First, boil some water and bring it into a two-quart pot. Do not use too hot water. The best water temperature for steaming is about 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash your face to make your skin clean.
- Tie your hair back. Slowly close to the steam, but remember not to get too close, 12 inches (30 cm) is an ideal distance. If you get too close to the hot steam, you could harm your skin.
- Steam your affect area over the steam for about five to ten minutes.
- Repeat this process once a week can help your skin hydrated.
- You can also add some essential oils into the steam. You can use lavender, rosemary, or peppermint oil which can make the steam fragrant.
6.Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is excellent for treating pimples. It has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that help prevent microscopic organisms and bacteria that cause acne.
Additionally, the mitigating properties of tea tree oil can help reduce the redness and inflammation of the skin. It also helps dry out the pimples and unblock the sebaceous glands naturally.
- Mix 3-4 drops tea tree essential oil with ½ cup water. Dip a clean cotton swab in the oil and apply it to the affected area. Rinse your face after 20 to 25 minutes. You can do this twice a day for quick results.
- Another choice is to mix a couple of drops of tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel. Apply it to your pimples, leave it on for 15 minutes, and wash your face.
- Another option is to mix 1 teaspoon coconut oil or almond oil with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. Apply it to the infected area and wait for a few hours. Wash your face with lukewarm water. You can do this twice daily until the pimples go away.
Note: You may feel a little stinging sensation. This is absolutely normal. If you have sensitive skin, you should this method.
Garlic is very helpful in treating pimples and acne. It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory,anti-viral, and anti-oxidant properties which can help kill the bacteria and reduce the redness, swelling, irritation, and pain. In addition, garlic is rich in vitamins C, minerals, and other phytonutrients which are important for healthy skin.
- Peel and cut a garlic clove into three pieces.
- Apply the garlic on the pimples and leave it on for a few minutes before washing the skin with cold water.
- Repeat this a few times each day.
- You can also eat one raw garlic clove every day which helps promote blood circulation. However, do not overeat as it can agitate the stomach.
Note: If you feel an unbearable burning sensation remove the application immediately.
Baking Soda has numerous uses. It can be used as an antiperspirant, toothpaste, and even home remedies for skin peeling. It can exfoliate the skin and remove dirt, dead skin cells, and abundance oil. Baking Soda also contains anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce redness, swelling, and irritation of the skin.
- Make a smooth paste by blending two tablespoons of baking soda with two tablespoons of water.
- Wash your face thoroughly. Apply the paste to the pimples and wait for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with cool water and pat dry.
- You can do this twice a day for quick results.
- If you feel stung too much take it off immediately.
Note: If you have sensitive skin you should avoid this method because it may result in dryness, redness, and irritation.
Cucumber is rich in potassium(calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus) which help removes dirt, dead skin cells, bacteria. It also contains vitamins(A, C, and E) which can help reduce the skin inflammation.
The antioxidant properties of cucumber can help cool and reduce the redness of the skin. Also, It can help the skin well hydrated because 90% of cucumber is water.
- Cut cucumbers into pieces and blend to make a paste.
- Wash your face with mild soap and warm water.
- Apply the paste to the affected skin and let the skin absorb for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
- Repeat this process twice a day.
Note: You can also make a cucumber face mask with Honey, Lemon Juice, Tomato Juice, Sandalwood Powder, and Yogurt.
Papaya is a rich source of papain and chymopapain which has antibacterial, antifungal,anti–inflammatory and antiviral properties. It can exfoliate the skin, unclog the pores, and remove the excess lipids.
It also contains beta-carotene, vitamin B, and C which help reduce the redness, swelling, and help your skin soft and smooth. In addition, papaya can strengthen your immune system to fight the formation of dark spots, pimples, and other blemishes.
- Put raw papaya pieces in a blende. Crush and extract the juice.
- Wash face with water and let it dry.
- Apply the paste to the affected area and wait for 20 – 30 minutes before washing off.
- You can do this twice a day to get a quick result.
- You can also make a face mask with Honey, Yogurt, or Cream and Papaya. Apply the mask to the clean skin and wait for 15 – 20 minutes then wash it off.
11.Apple Cider Vinegar
If you want to treat a pimple fast, you can consider apple cider vinegar. It has an antiseptic and antifungal agent which can help reduce the swelling, irritation, redness, and pain. The acidic property of ACV can help kill many types of bacteria and viruses to prevent infection.
In addition, the ACV can help your skin maintain a balanced skin pH level which makes it harder for microbes to flourish. It also helps produce collagen, remove excess oil, repair damaged cells, and removes dead skin cells.
Wash your face with water and use a towel to dry your skin. Utilizing a proportion of 1 section vinegar to 3 sections water, dunk a cotton ball into vinegar and apply it correctly to the imperfection. Leave it on for nothing less than 10 minutes, or overnight. Reapply a few times each day.
Note: Apply skin toner after applying this treatment.
Yogurt has been used on the skin for excellent advantages since ancient times. It can nourish your skin from outside and inside. Yogurt is rich in multi-nutrients like zinc, vitamin B, calcium, and lactic acid which is a natural antibiotic that helps exfoliate skin and promote collagen production.
In addition, It also helps unclog pores and reduce redness. Eating is the easiest method. This can help improve your overall skin appearance. You can also make simple yogurt masks that can help brighten the skin, reduce redness, and moisturizes the skin.
Yogurt Face Mask
- Wash your face and hands with warm water and wipe dry.
- Apply plain yogurt to your face with your finger.
- Leave it on the face for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water. You can apply this mixture twice a day.
Honey Yogurt Face Mask
- First, Clean your face and hands.
- Mix 1 tablespoon yogurt with 1 teaspoon raw honey in a bowl.
- Apply it to your face and wait for 15 minutes before rinsing with water.
Oatmeal Yogurt Face Mask
- Cleanse your face with mild soap and water.
- Mix 1 tablespoon yogurt with 1 teaspoon colloidal oatmeal in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your face and wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water and pat dry.
Note: Make sure to use plain, unsweetened, and unflavored yogurt in your face mask, otherwise, it may cause the redness and irritation of the skin.
Aspirin is another effective method to keep your skin soft and bright. It contains acetylsalicylic acid that is an excellent skin exfoliator. It can also help reduce pore size and inflammation.
- Dissolve 5 or 6 aspirin tablets in a few drops of water.
- For a better effect, you can add some honey, egg whites, or olive oil to it.
- Gently rub the mixture on your face and wait for 15 minutes.
- wipe it off with warm water
Note: Make sure do not touch your eyes when you use Aspirin.
14.Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera Gel has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help prevent bacteria, reduce inflammation, reduce the redness, and accelerates the healing process of pimples wound. It also helps removes dirt, dead skin cells, and excess oil in the pores. The salicylic acid in Aloe Vera Gel can help balance the pH of the skin. By using aloe vera you will have healthier skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel with 1-2 teaspoons rose water in a bowl.
- You can also add raw honey, Lemon, Turmeric, or Tea Tree Oil to the aloe vera gel.
- Apply this to the affected area for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this twice a week until the acne heals.
Olive oil has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help kill bacteria, reduce swelling and inflammation of the skin. It also contains a lot of nutrients and essential fatty acids which help remove dead skin cells, dirt, and other toxins in the clog pores.
Vitamin D, E, and K in the olive oil can help heal damaged skin and strengthen your immune system to prevent pimples effectively.
- Wash your face and hands with plain water
- You can apply the olive oil directly to the pimples. You can also add Sea Salt Scrub, Lemon Juice, Baking Soda, Garlic, Honey, Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, or Apple Cider Vinegar into the olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to the affected area and massage gently.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Repeat the process 3 times weekly.
- You can do this 2 times a day.
These natural remedies can effectively help you get rid of pimples fast. However, you’d better stick with 1-2 methods for a period of time. This will tend to get good results.
If some symptoms such as allergies, redness, or pain occur during treatment, you’d better see your doctor as soon as possible. The doctor can give you the best treatment plan based on the test results.