Can you get a pimple on your lip? The answer is yes. Pimples can occur anywhere in the body, although it usually appears where there is the dense growth of sebaceous follicles such as face, chest, neck, shoulders, and back.
A pimple on the lip, also known as zit, carbuncle, boil, or bleb, is an inflamed spot on the skin with pus in the center. This condition is very annoying because it not only looks ugly but also makes you talk and eating painful. They are most common among teenagers, but older adults and younger children may also develop it.
A pimple on the lip are often confused with a mouth blister or a cold sore. These reddish bumps look similar and make you feel uncomfortable. So, how to tell it is a cold sore or a pimple? Although similar, these are distinct skin disorders and require different treatments. There are a lot of differences between their causes, symptoms, and treatments.
A pimple on Lip or Cold Sore? How to Tell the Difference
Here are the clear differences between them and what you should do to get rid of these conditions. If you are not sure whether you have a cold sore or a pimple on the lip, it is best to consult your dermatologist for proper diagnosis and correct treatment. Treating cold sore with remedies for pimples can slow down the skin’s healing process.
1. Different Appearance
- The color of a cold sore is usually dark pink.
- Cold sores usually contain a few tiny blisters with clear fluid in it. And the liquids will seep out before the scab.
- A pimple is usually filled with in the center that eventually drains.
- A pimple usually has whiteheads and blackheads on it.
- A cold sore or mouth blisters usually appears on your lower lip or upper lip, and it usually shows up in one area each time.
- A pimple can occurs anywhere on your face, not just on your lips.
- Pimples are usually nodules or solid lumps beneath the surface of your skin.
- A pimple on the lip is usually larger than cold sores. You can easily differentiate the two by checking the formation of pus.
2. Different Causes
- A cold sore or mouth blisters is caused by the herpes virus.
- A pimple is caused by bacteria, dead skin cells, excess oil that block the skin pores.
3. Different Symptoms
- A pimple is a raised red bump, while a cold sore can grow bigger.
- A cold sore may cause an itchy, tingling or burning sensation.
- Pimples are usually tender and painful to touch.
- Cold sores can be transmitted through physical contact.
- Pimples are usually not contagious.
Causes of Pimples on Lips
Lip pimple occurs when the hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil. Hair follicles and oil glands can secrete sebum to keep the skin and hair lubricated.
When the body produces a lot of sebum, it can make a soft plug in the hair follicles together with dead skin cells. This blockage allows bacteria to thrive. Inflammation occurs when the clogged pore becomes infected and may cause the follicle wall to swell, producing a whitehead.
The common causes of a pimple are bacteria, clogged pores, dead skin cells, excessive oil production, allergic reaction and hormonal imbalance.
The main causes of a pimple on the lip are excess sebum. If your hormones change quickly, the sebum production process will be disturbed. This can easily lead to clogged pores and an infection on your skin. This is why many women tend to get a pimple on their lip.
Some foods such as whole-grain foods, coconut oil, and green leafy vegetables can help you balance your hormones.
Some cosmetics, foods, and medicines can irritate your skin and lead to allergic reaction. You may notice inflammation, blisters, hives, itching, and redness around your lips or face. Some people with skin disease such as rosacea are more prone to experience an allergic reaction.
You should try to avoid contact with these allergens. In addition, taking vitamin C can enhance your immunity and reduce allergic reactions.
Stress can affect your immune system and lead to pimples on your lip. According to a study published by Stanford University, stress can cause hormone levels to fluctuate, leading to acne on the skin. You should try to avoid stress. Running, swimming, yoga and listening to music are all good methods to help you relax.
Some bad habits may also cause pimples on lips. If you have a poor diet, the body may lack enough vitamins and minerals. You are more prone to acne if you often eat greasy, salty and spicy foods. You should try to consume some foods rich in fatty acids, zinc, vitamin, and antioxidants.
In addition, the low-quality makeup can also lead to unsightly lip bumps. Try to avoid sleep before removing the makeup.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Pimple on Lip
There are some anti-acne products that you can use to get rid of pimples on your face but if you want to specifically target a pimple on your lip, here are top 10 home remedies that you can do to get rid of a pimple on lip naturally.
How cold compresses can help get rid of pimple? First it can provide instant temporary relief to pain and swelling. Ice can cool the skin and slow down blood flow. Also, ice or cold water can numb nerve endings that can make the injury more bearable. In addition, cold compresses can help shrinks pores that will decrease the likelihood of irritants getting in.
How to use ice to get rid of a pimple on lip? It’s not advised to place ice directly on your skin. Because ice may stick to your skin and lead to a cold burn, which can worsen the acne. You could cover the ice with a cloth or towel to make a cold compress. Make sure not to leave a compress for more than 5 minutes, especially for those who have sensitive skin.
You can also add some essential oils such as tea tree oil, lavender, peppermint , rose waterrosemary or lemon for the desired effect. These essential oils will help reduce inflammation and relax your senses.
If your acne is mild, you just need to splash cool water on your face instead of ice.You can do this a few minutes every morning and evening. This can help shrink pores and wash away debris. Remember to pat your skin dry at the end.
It seems that a pimple is not vulnerable to extreme temperatures and this is something that you can use to your advantage so that you can get rid of a pimple on your lip soon.
The use of hot compress can help soften your lip pimple which will make it easier for you to remove. This is ideal if your lip pimple is extremely hard.
How to use:
- Dip a towel in hot water.
- Get rid of the excess heat.
- Place on the affected pimple.
It is already a known fact that if you want to get rid of acne soon, you need to make use of lemon juice. Lemon juice has citric acid that can be very effective in removing the bacteria that caused a pimple to appear in the first place.
At the same time, lemon juice has astringent properties. This can efficiently get rid of the excess oil found on the skin thus reducing the appearance of more pimples.
How to use:
- You need to squeeze out the fresh lemon juice.
- Use a cotton swab and apply it to a pimple.
- Allow the lemon juice to dry. You do not need to remove it anymore.
- For best results, you can do this about 2 – 3 times a day until the lemon juice gets removed.
There are different things that honey can do. A lot of list of home remedies contain honey for entirely different reasons. This time, honey can also be used to get rid of your lip pimple.
This is highly effective in getting rid of the various bacteria that may be found on your face no matter what the current bacteria strain is. It will also make the pH level near your lip low so bacteria will not be able to live near your lips anymore.
How to use:
- You need to choose raw honey to make this very effective.
- Apply raw honey to a pimple.
- Do not wipe or remove the honey from a pimple.
- This should be done about 2 – 3 times every day to get the best results.
Tea Tree Oil
It should be noted that for tea tree oil, it is essential that it will be diluted before being placed on the pimple otherwise, it will be too strong. Tea tree oil is usually one of the ingredients used by people to get rid of acne.
You may check your acne-fighting products and see tea tree oil as one of the main ingredients. This is highly effective in getting rid of the bacteria that causes the pimples to appear on the skin.
How to use:
- Mix tea tree oil with olive oil. If you do not have olive oil, coconut oil will be sufficient too.
- Apply to the affected area of the lips.
- Leave it on.
- Reapply twice a day to get the best results.
It was mentioned earlier that people might develop lip pimples when they use toothpaste that is high in fluoride, but toothpaste can also be one of the solutions so that lip pimples can be removed efficiently.
To lessen the possibility of fluoride, choose a non-gel toothpaste. Toothpaste contains baking soda and hydrogen peroxide that can help improve the condition of a pimple. It can make a pimple dry out faster.
How to use:
- Make sure that you clean your face first before applying toothpaste.
- Place the toothpaste on the pimple.
- Leave on the face for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wipe off with a wet towel.
- This should be done twice every day to get the best results.
Tomato contains antimicrobial properties that can be very effective in removing the bacteria that cause pimples to form. It also contains Vitamin C, and this can be very effective in repairing damaged skin cells in the area where a lip pimple has formed.
How to use:
- You only need a small tomato, just enough to cover the area.
- Place the pulp and the juice on the pimple.
- After 10 – 15 minutes, rinse off the juice from a pimple.
- You can use the pulp and the juice throughout the day.
Our ancestors have used turmeric for a long period. From the beginning, people know how much it can help as a home remedy. This time, it can also work on your lip pimple. It contains healing properties that can help heal your pimple faster than before.
The antimicrobial properties of turmeric can also help get rid of the bacteria that caused a pimple. The best thing about using turmeric paste is that you will not see any scar after.
How to use:
- You can add a bit of water to the turmeric powder.
- Once you have mixed properly, place the paste on the pimple.
- Leave for as long as you can.
- If you cannot just leave the paste, you can remove it with water.
There are a lot of skin products that contain Benzoyl Peroxide for the simple reason that it works well in fighting skin acne. This works in unclogging the pores so whatever is causing your lip pimple will be unclogged and removed. This is also effective in removing other skin issues.
How to use:
- Wash the affected area first and make sure that it is clean before you use Benzoyl Peroxide.
- Only place a small amount of the gel on the affected area.
- Follow the directions placed on the tube about how long you are going to leave the gel in the area.
Do remember that not everyone can use this gel. If you believe that you have sensitive skin, it may not work as well as you would like for you. Always follow the instructions on the tube as well as the recommendations of your doctor just to be sure.
One of the things that castor oil can do is to make sure that all of the impurities of your skin will be taken and removed. The impurities may include the bacteria that causes the acne to take place. It also has antibacterial properties so it can help kill the bacteria that causes the pimples on your lip area.
How to use:
- Add another essential oil to castor oil. You can choose coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to your lip pimple.
- You can also place the mixture in the area around it to prevent a lip pimple from getting bigger.
- Leave on the castor oil with essential oil overnight.
- Rinse it off in the morning.
How to Pop a Pimple on Your Lip Line?
Should you pop these ugly zits? Popping is the fastest way to remove a pimple on your lip. However, this is not the safest method. Squeezing a pus-filled pimple on your lip may lead to the infection of the skin, especially when a pimple is very large. This may make your lips red and swollen.
So, you’d better try to avoid popping your lip pimples. But if you still want to pop the pimples, here are some useful guidelines from a dermatologist.
- Prepare hot water, towels, alcohol swabs, needles and pain reliever ointments.
- Wash your hands and soak the towels in hot water for a few minutes.
- Apply the warm towel to the swollen part of the lips for 5-10 minutes.
- Clean the lip pimple with an alcohol swab.
- Disinfect the needle with a flame, then clean the needle with an alcohol swab.
- Gently pierce the pimple head with the needle and gently squeeze the sides to push the pus out completely.
- Wipe the area with a clean alcohol swab.
- Apply some anti-inflammatory and analgesic creams to prevent infection.
- You can also take some antibiotic drugs to get rid of the swelling.
How to Prevent a Pimple on the Lip
The things that are mentioned above can help get rid of a lip pimple efficiently, but if you do not want to worry about getting a lip pimple ever again, you may want to do the following things:
- Be more careful of the things that you eat. Eat healthier food products and make sure to get enough water.
- Try to avoid squeezing the pimples especially when your hands are dirty. The bacteria from a pimple will also spread. This can increase the number of pimples that you have in the lip area.
- Choose the right makeup that you are going to apply on your lips.
- Make sure that you will effectively remove the dead cells from your lips especially before going to sleep at night. There are some homemade lip exfoliators you can use sugar or salt scrub. Remember to exfoliate gently.
- You may have to avoid stress to prevent having pimples.
- If a lip pimple lasts for a long time, you should see your doctor immediately.