Are you having problems with your skin lately? Do you want to know how to get rid of dry skin? It might be because the weather is getting colder. It is only natural for the skin to dry up when exposed to severe weather. A lot of times, being exposed to cold weather makes the skin look flaky and more aged. Most of the time, those who have dry skin tend to age more because they have more wrinkles, fine lines, and even laugh lines on their faces. Do you want to avoid this? What you can do is make sure that you will get rid of your dry skin.
How to Remove Dry Skin From the Root
1.Moisturize Your Skin Frequently
Many people skip the moisturizing steps of the beauty routine. Some people think it takes a long time and some people do not like the feeling of lotion on the skin. However, moisturizing is essential for your skincare.
You’d better use moisturizing cream 2-3 times daily. The moisturizer in the morning will allow your skin to hydrate throughout the day. The moisturizer at night will help your skin to heal itself. You can put a small hand cream next to the sink. Use it every time after you wash your face and hands.
First, tap your skin with a towel to remove excess water until it is slightly moist, then apply a moisturizer. If you still feel dry skin, you can apply another layer of moisturizing cream.
There are different types of creams and moisturizers, so how do you choose? For dry, flaky skin, petroleum jelly-based moisturizers work well to lock in moisture and help reduce dryness. For oily skin or sensitive skin, choose a non-acne or light moisturizer to leave your skin feeling hydrated, fresh, and not oily.
2.Drink plenty of water
Drink plenty of water, which can transport nutrients to your cells and flush the toxins from your body system. This will help keep your skin nourished and hydrated. You’d better drink at least eight glasses per day.
Do not drink a lot of coffee, alcohol, or adult beverages which can cause your body to lose more fluids.
A balanced and healthy diet is not only good for your skin but also great for your overall health. It will provide many nutrients and vitamins, which help to hydrate the skin and promote health.
Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables such as watermelon, broccoli, and tomatoes. Eat more foods containing unsaturated fats, such as avocado, olive, peanut butter, salmon, walnuts, and tofu.
They can increase blood flow and help deliver nutrients to your skin cells. You can also increase the intake of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that can help protect the skin. Try to eat less salty and fried foods, which will dehydrate the body and exacerbate dry skin.
Gentle exfoliation is an effective way to keep your skin smooth. It can help you get rid of dead skin cells, remove excess oil, keep your skin smooth. However, many facial scrubs can also strip moisture from the skin and cause dry and itchy skin.
- You can try a damp baby’s washcloth; it can help you gently exfoliate and reduce the skin’s stimulation.
- You can also use exfoliating gloves or dry skin brush to exfoliate.
- Try to avoid abrasive body scrubs, and make sure to moisturize your skin after exfoliating.
- You can exfoliate 2 to 3 times per week for a good result.
5.Choose the right cleansers
Choose the right cleansers because some facial soap and cleanser contain sodium lauryl sulfate, spices, and some form of alcohol that can remove moisture from the skin and cause severe dryness of your skin. If you feel tight and dry after washing, you may use the wrong product.
Choose a mild, non-scented cleanser such as cream or milk cleaner that can moisturize your skin. You may also consider using a ceramide-based cleaner that helps your skin retain more moisture. Avoid irritating anti-bacterial soap and heavy-scented cleanser that will make your skin drier.
You can also change the product you are using according to the change of the time of year. In the summer, you should use an SPF. In winter, you can switch to a fuller moisturizer.
6.Avoid excessive bathing
To prevent dry and itchy skin, you should avoid long and hot water baths, as this will remove the protective lipid barrier of your skin and make your skin dry.
- You should limit the number of bathing, not more than once a day.
- Use warm water instead of hot water.
- Do not wash too long and take a short shower.
- Use a mild moisturizer after taking a bath.
7.Try petroleum jelly
Petroleum jelly is very soft, and it can form a barrier on the skin surface to prevent moisture evaporation from the skin surface. Moreover, it will not clog your pores and irritates your facial skin.
Apply a layer of moisturizer first and then seal it with a thin layer of petrolatum. You’d better use Vaseline at night; this will maximize the natural recovery of the skin.
How to Get Rid of Dry Skin With Natural Remedies
The great thing about milk is that it has anti-inflammatory properties. This means that if your skin is inflamed because it is dry, milk can make your skin more moisturized. You also have to know that there are some products with milk because milk helps improve the skin’s ability to retain moisture.
- Using a clean washcloth, dip that into warm milk.
- Place that in the dry skin area.
- Leave the washcloth with the milk for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Wash off the milk with a washcloth that you have dipped in lukewarm water.
- This can be done about 3 – 4 times a week.
Avoid Sun Screen
You have to remember that another one of the possible reasons why your skin has dried up is because you have been exposing it to the heat of the sun. You can avoid this from happening by making sure that you will use sunscreen. Various sunscreens may have different effects. Just choose a lightweight one that will be best for your skin.
- Remember to place sunscreen on your skin 15 – 30 minutes before you leave your house.
- Make sure that you will re-apply on your skin whenever you need to.
- Try not to overexpose yourself to the rays of the sun, even with sunscreen on.
Recommended Reading: How to Get Rid of Sun Spots on Skin(Fast and Naturally)
Olive oil is known to contain a lot of antioxidants and fatty acids. These are some of the nutrients that your skin needs. Olive oil can help the skin become more moisturized, and at the same time, it can also help soothe the skin all over.
- Place a small amount of olive oil on the usual moisturizer that you use on your face. If you are going to use a lotion for your body, you can also add a small amount of olive oil to help relieve the skin.
- Ensure that you will massage the moisturizer with olive oil in a circular motion on the face area and gently on the body.
- Do this after every bath.
Use A Humidifier
Do you often feel the air in your house is very dry, especially when sleeping at night? Dry air will cause your face to shed skin cells quickly and make your skin rough and flaky. At this time, you can put a humidifier in the bedroom; it can prevent the air from becoming too dry and inject more moisture into your skin.
- Try to use pure water or distilled water; always clean the humidifier; otherwise, it is easy to breed bacteria.
- Keep your room humidity at around 50% percent.
- You can also put a pot of water in your bedroom to replace the humidifier.
- In addition, you can also try natural plant humidifiers, such as Boston palm tree, fig tree, or bamboo fern.
If you search for natural home remedies that can help your skin become moisturized, honey is probably one of the best home remedies that you can try. Honey is known to contain antioxidants, and they are also anti-microbial which means that your skin will be protected from various microorganisms. Honey can also help lock in moisture to keep it smoother throughout the day.
- Rub honey all over your body for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- You are recommended to take a bath after since this can be very sticky for your whole body.
- You can do this every day if you choose to because this can help keep the skin moisturized.
If you have never tried coconut oil before then, you know that you are missing out. Coconut oil is known to be good for the skin. It can also replenish the amount of moisture that the body may have missed because of taking a bath and doing other activities.
- Place coconut oil on your entire body before going to sleep. Make sure that you will not feel too sticky when you do this. You might not sleep because you do not like the feeling.
- If you would like to feel more comfortable, you may want to place just the right amount of oil after bathing to lock in the moisture.
Recommended Reading:20 Simply Splendid Things You Can Do with Coconut Oil
The great thing about the avocado is that it has various things that will help the skin become improved from the inside. It can also help the skin become smooth and silky because of its Vitamin A content that can help the skin greatly.
- Mash the avocado until it becomes pasty. You do not have to mix it in with anything. You can use just plain avocado.
- Rub the paste that you have made in the areas that you would like to moisturize.
- Leave the paste on the skin for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash it off.
- This can be done about twice a week for the best results.
There are a lot of home remedies that you will see that usually make use of Aloe Vera. Aside from the fact that it can help soothe the effects of having dry skin, it can also help in naturally moisturizing the skin.
- Get a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and cut it in the middle.
- Place the Aloe Vera gel in the dry areas of the skin.
- Place the gel for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- This can be done 2x a day.
Would you like to make sure that your skin will be properly hydrated? You can achieve this with the use of yogurt. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help heal the skin if it is feeling a bit irritated. It can also help get rid of bacteria that may be causing the skin to dry up.
- Choose fresh and unflavored yogurt.
- Place the yogurt directly in the dry areas of your skin.
- Take a bath to remove the yogurt from the skin.
- This can be done every day.
Recommended Reading: 10 Surprising Health Benefits of Yogurt
Do you know that you can help combat dry skin with the use of oatmeal? You can be sure that the high protein content in oatmeal will always help a lot. You can also help get rid of water loss to keep your skin more moisturized than usual.
- If you have a bathtub, you can prepare warm water for your bath. Make sure that you will add some essential oils to help you become more relaxed.
- You can then add the oatmeal to your bathtub.
- Do this once a week.
Why spend money on lotions and moisturizers when you can use natural home remedies that can truly help you out? Get to use any of these home remedies, and you will be pleasantly surprised with your more even skin.