Do you want to get rid of dark spots on the face? These spots may make you feel embarrassed and not confident. This article discusses the best natural remedies for dark spots and how to prevent marks in the future.
Dark spots on the face are also known as solar lentigines, hyperpigmentation, liver spots, or age spots. When the skin is injured, the skin will make melanin to heal it. If the skin in that area produces more melanin than usual, it can result in an overproduction of melanin. This will lead to dark spots on your forehead, face, or cheekbone area.
Sometimes, black spots do not only appear on the face, but it can also appear on different parts of the body such as shoulders, arms, or back. They may have other colors such as brown, grey, or red. Facial dark spots can happen at any time, but most often occur in middle-aged person especially for women.
Dark spots or patches are not only good looking but also it could mean serious skin problems. If it becomes suspicious, you should consult a dermatologist as soon as possible. You can also remove dark spots with home remedies. These remedies will help you restore a bright complexion and clear skin. In this article, we will provide the common causes and some best treatments for dark spots on the skin.
11 Common Causes of Dark Spots on Face
In order to know how to remove the black spots on the face, it is extremely important to know the different causes first.
Excessive Sun Exposure: Sun damage is also called sunspots or solar lentigines. It occurs when the skin is exposed to the UV rays of the sun for a long time. This will make your skin produce melanin and lead to the dark spots on your face. The spots usually appear in the areas of the body that receive the most sun exposure including the face, hands, legs, or arms. To prevent excess sun exposure, you should stay out of the sun from 10 AM to 2 PM and wear sunblock.
Hormonal Imbalances: Hormonal changes in the body can cause uneven melanin production, this will lead to dark spots. Melasma is a common skin condition that will cause dark small patches on the face. This condition is common among middle-aged women, especially during pregnancy. This is because hormones may trigger this over-pigmentation of the cells and lead to melasma.
Age: This is also called age spots. As you age, your skin can not build enough new cells to replace the dead skin cells. This will lead to dark spots on your face.
Skin Disorders: Some skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, injury, acne, or acne scars can cause skin inflammation. Acne scars can also leave dark spots on the skin that lead to dark patches on the skin.
Side effects of medications: Some medications such as NSAIDs, tetracyclines, or psychotropics can increase skin pigmentation and lead to liver damage. This will reduce the efficiency of the liver in clearing toxins and lead to skin pigmentation.
Hyperpigmentation: This usually occurs when people used to suffer from skin injuries such as acne or surgery. Since the skin has become traumatized, it may produce excess melanin. when it becomes hyperpigmented and this will make a particular patch of skin look darker.
Diabetes: Diabetes usually occurs when the body can not make or use insulin properly. This condition can cause too much sugar in the blood. This will cause some skin conditions such as darkened, velvety skin, and shin spots or diabetic dermopathy. Some people may also confuse the dark spots on face with age spots.
Stress: Too much stress and lack of sleep can also disturb the hormone levels in your body. This will lead to dark patches on the face.
Liver disease: Sometimes dark spots on the face may be a sign of liver disease. When the liver can not effectively remove toxins from the cells, it will build upon the skin and cause dark spots.
Irritation or insect bite: Some skin products or insect bite may irritate the skin and cause dark patches.
Hair removal: Sometimes hair removal can lead to the inflammation of the skin. This can cause dark spots in these areas.
Types of Dark Spots, Patches, and Marks on Face
There are many types of dark spots caused by different factors. Some dark spots also need a certain type of treatment.
Lentigines: This type of dark spot is caused by too much exposure to sunlight. Dark spots formed as a result of too much exposure to ultraviolet rays A and B. The spots are noticeable on the cheeks, forehead as well as on the nose.
Post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation: This type of dark spot is caused by traumatized skin. Some factors that can cause traumatized skin are burns, pimples, acne, and other resistant skin problems.
Melasma: This type of dark spot is caused by hormonal imbalances such as during pregnancy, adolescence, and the use of pills. It can also develop during the menopause stage. There are also conditions that can lead to the development of dark spots such as thyroid dysfunction. The skin reacts to hormonal influxes by forming melasma types of dark spots.
Pimple Marks: Clogged pores on the skin can cause pimples. Infected pimples can make it painful and when a pimple is popped, it is likely to leave a scar.
14 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Your Face
Too many dark spots and patches on the face can lead to lower self-esteem. Fortunately, there are many treatments to get rid of it. Here are some home remedies that you can use to reduce the appearance of dark spots and other blemishes!
A very popular remedy for dark spots on the face is lemon juice. It contains vitamin C that can help reduce inflammation and lighten dark spots on the skin. The acidity of the lemon juice can be helpful in bleaching those dark spots on the skin.
- Cut a fresh lemon and squeeze the juice into a clean bowl.
- Dilute the fresh lemon juice with equal parts of clean water.
- Soak a clean cotton ball in the juice and apply it directly to the affected area. This may lead to some stinging or itching feeling, but it is normal.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and rinse with water. Make sure to avoid soap.
- Apply this dark spot removal home remedy for 2-3 weeks until your dark spots disappear.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with a little water or honey before applying it. If you have open sores on your skin, don’t use lemon juice. Do not go under the sun after applying lemon juice.
Aloe vera is a popular treatment for hair. Aside from that, it has many healing properties which can also aid in the treatment of dark spots! Aloe vera contains polysaccharides which can promote the growth of new skin cells.
A 2014 study published in the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical research shows that the gel of the aloe vera is a natural dark spot corrector. It can help remove skin blemishes and clear dark spots on the face.
Aside from removing dark spots and blemishes, aloe vera gel can also help make the skin younger and clearer! This is why aloe vera is also one of the ingredients in skincare products like soaps and lotion.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf from a plant and clean off with water.
- Cut the Aloe Vera leaf in half and extract fresh aloe vera gel with a spoon.
- Apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel on the dark patches and black spots.
- Massage the area gently with your fingertips for 5-10 minutes and allow it to dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
- Use this simple remedy 1-2 times daily until you no longer have dark spots on your face.
Castor oil is excellent for treating dark spots on the face. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help clean the bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells that cause these skin problems.
In addition, it contains vitamin E that can improve blood circulation and stimulate the growth of new skin cells.
- Clean your face thoroughly with mild soap.
- Pour 4-5 drops of castor oil in a bowl and dip a clean cotton ball in the oil.
- Apply it directly to the dark spots, avoiding eye areas.
- Leave it on for 40 – 50 minutes and then massage gently for some minutes, this can help the oil penetrates into the skin.
- You can also leave it overnight and rinse the next morning.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Note: Avoid this remedy if you have open wounds on your skin. It is recommended to apply the oil before your daily moisturizing routine.
4.Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another good remedy for dark or brown spots on the face.
The Journal of Dermatology shows that apple cider vinegar contains alpha-hydroxy acids that can help remove the dead skin cells and accelerates the re-growth of new skin cells. It can also act as an antioxidant that can help remove dirt, toxins, and lighten up the tone of the skin.
Apple cider vinegar is rich in many acids, mineral salts, and vitamins such as A, B, C, and E. These ingredients can help fade away dark spots and reduce other hyperpigmentation problems.
- Dilute 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Then wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat this process once daily.
- Also, you can mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey and 2 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar in a clean bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball and apply the mixture to your dark spots areas.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Do this once daily.
- Honey has relaxing and soothing properties that can strengthen the effect.
Sandalwood is a well-known treatment for dark spots from the ancient. The natural oils in it can help moisturize skin and balance pigmentation. It has anti-aging, anti-microbial, skin softening properties.
Sandalwood can also prevent germs, toxins, and eliminate pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and acne scars.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of sandalwood powder,3 tablespoon of Vitamin E Oil, and 3 tablespoons of orange Juice In a clean bowl.
- Mix well until you get a thick paste and apply the paste over your face.
- Leave it on for 30-50 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process once daily until your black spots go away completely.
- Mix ½ tablespoons of sandalwood powder,2 tablespoons of milk,1 teaspoon of glycerin to make a paste.
- Apply the thick paste to your face and leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- You can do this 3-4 times a week until the dark spots disappear completely.
Due to its powerful natural bleaching properties, potatoes is another good remedy for black spots or dark patches. It contains potassium, zinc, and Vitamin such as B6, C. These ingredients can help remove dead skin cells and reduce pigmentation.
In addition, the starch in potato can help fade blemishes and acne scars. The enzymes in potatoes are great for maintaining healthier skin!
- This is the easiest method. You just need a potato and a knife.
- Slice up a potato into thin slices.
- Place them directly on the areas with dark spots.
- Leave on for 5-10 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Peel and grate the potato to a fine texture.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey to the grated potato and apply the mixture on your face.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- You can do this 2-3 times every week.
- Extract the juice of a potato
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder or lemon juice to the potato juice.
- Apply it on your face and let it dry.
- Let it dry before rinsing your face with warm water.
- The lemon juice is rich in vitamin C that can help get rid of dark black spots within a few weeks.
Aside from potatoes, you can also use tomatoes on your dark spots! Tomatoes also have amazing properties that promote younger and glowing skin while removing impurities!
Buttermilk is also effective in removing dark spots on the face. Like lemons, it can also eliminate dark spots, scars, and skin blemishes without any burning sensation! The lactic acid in buttermilk can also decrease skin pigmentation which can make your skin brighter and younger-looking!
- This is the easiest way to use buttermilk.
- You can apply the buttermilk directly on your affected area skin with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 10- 20 minutes and rinse with clean water.
- Repeat this process once a day.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh tomato juice and 4 teaspoons of buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Mix well and apply the mixture to the dark spots with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with clean water.
- Tomato juice and buttermilk both have excellent bleaching properties that can give you quicker results.
You can use milk as an alternative for buttermilk. Simply soak a cotton ball in it and apply it directly to the skin. Leave it for at least ten minutes before rinsing it with warm water. Repeat this treatment two times a day for a month!
Note: Avoid applying the buttermilk around your eyes, as the lactic acid in the buttermilk may cause irritation to the sensitive skin under the eyes.
Oatmeal is not only great for breakfast but it is also considered effective for skin exfoliation. It contains saponins that can help exfoliate and remove dead skin cells effectively.
The anti-inflammatory, as well as soothing properties of oatmeal, also help reduce the itchiness. In addition, it can be used to get rid of pimples and acne scars. If your skin is oily, oatmeal is more suitable for you because it can balance the oil content on the skin and help the skin become smoother.
- Add a tablespoon of milk,1 tablespoon of honey, and 3 tablespoons of oatmeal into a bowl.
- Mix well until the mixture becomes a paste.
- Apply the paste as a face mask over your face.
- Leave it on for 30-50 minutes until it dries.
- Rinse with clean water and apply a moisturizing cream.
- Repeat this process twice a week.
The moisturization of honey and the bleaching of milk can increase the effect effectively.
The curcumin in turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce black spots as well as brighten your skin. It can also reduce skin discoloration and pigmentation.
In addition, turmeric can help fight free radicals and get rid of other skin problems such as sunspots.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric,1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of milk into a small bowl.
- Mix well to get a paste and apply it over your face.
- Gently massage the dark spots areas in circular motions for 5-10 minutes.
- Do not leave it on over 20 minutes, otherwise, turmeric will make your skin yellow.
- Wash off with clean water and apply lotion.
- You can do this 2-3 times a week.
Note: After using this remedy, your skin will have a slight yellow color within a few days, which is normal.
Papayas can act as an antidote for dark spots. It contains the papain enzyme, which can help exfoliates the skin and remove dead skin cells. It can also clear the dirt and excess oil in your skin.
In addition, papayas can protect the skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. This will inhibit the production of tyrosinase, which is the main cause of the overproduction of melanin.
- Put chopped half-ripe papaya in a bowl.
- Mash up the papaya until it becomes a thick paste.
- Apply the paste over your face and leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with clean water.
- Repeat the treatment at least three times a week for a better result!
Note: Try to use ripe papaya, because it is more gentle to the skin, especially your skin is dry or sensitive.
11. Olive Oil
Olive oil offers many skin benefits and one of them is providing healthier skin while getting rid of dark spots and pimple scars!
- Take some olive oil on your palm.
- Massage it gently on your face while focusing more on dark spots and scars. Massage for a few minutes until the oil is absorbed by your skin.
- Take a clean cloth and dip it into warm water. Put the wet cloth on the face to absorb the steam.
- Wipe the excess oil using the oil but do not rub! After two minutes, wash your face with water.
12. Onion Juice
Do you know that onion juice is also effective in clearing dark spots on the face! You can apply it in two ways:
- In 1 tablespoon of onion juice, add 2 tablespoons of honey. Mix it well and apply the mixture on your skin. Leave it for at least 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. You can add vinegar if your skin is oily.
- Another way is to keep a cotton ball into the onion juice. Apply it directly to the skin. Simply air-dry it before rinsing it off.
Almonds are not only great for chocolates but they are also effective in lightening the skin while reducing dark spots and blemishes! They are rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, and vitamin E which can help the skin a lot to keep it clear and flawless!
- Get eight to ten pieces of almonds and soak them in milk overnight.
- In the morning, remove the skin and grind the almonds.
- Add a teaspoon of sandalwood powder and ½ teaspoon of honey. Mix well to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and leave it on for at least thirty minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
You can repeat this treatment at least once a week! You can also massage your skin with almond oil at night to improve the complexion and decrease free radicals from the sun. Almond oil is also effective for lightening dark spots and removing scars.
Your skin needs the right balance of nutrients to keep your skin looking and working. The Vitamins can feed the skin well from the inside.
Vitamin A: Vitamin A is an antioxidant that can help prevent sun damage. It can also help wound heal and oil glands around your hair follicles work. Vitamin A deficiency can make your skin dry, itchy, or bumpy.
Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can help absorb the energy from UV light and even the skin tone. This will help prevent wrinkles, sagging, and skin cancer. Vitamin E can be used with vitamin C to strengthen cell walls. You can open a vitamin E capsule and apply the contents directly to dark spots before bed.
Vitamin C: This is also a powerful antioxidant that can help protect your skin cells from free radicals. Vitamin C deficiency can cause bleeding gums and easy bruising. It can also help reduce the amount of melanin your skin produces and lower your chance of skin cancer. You can often eat oranges, strawberries, and other fruits that contain a lot of vitamin C.
Medical Treatments for Dark Spots on Face
1. Laser treatment
Laser treatment uses laser emissions to penetrate the skin in the offending areas and kill Melanin-producing cells. You may find the skin look darker at first, but the dark will fade within a week. Although this method is a little expensive, it can help get rid of dark spots fast.
Salicylic acid is another effective remedy for dark spots on the skin. It contains an exfoliant ingredient that can help remove redness and inflammation of the skin. You can remove the dark spots on your face by applying a mild solution of salicylic acid directly to the skin.
It will also help remove the dead skin, increases collagen production, and open skin pores. If you have oily skin you should try Salicylic acid because it is especially useful for oily skin.
You may have heard of Glycolic Acid being used to treat acne, but it can also be used to remove dark spots on the face. Glycolic acid has exfoliating and renewing properties which can help exfoliate the skin, remove the dead skin cells, stimulate new collagen growth, and reduce oil on the skin.
You can use a facial cleanser or Over-the-counter products that contain glycolic acid. Apply it on your face with a cotton swab. You can do this every night before bed. Note that you can combine the Glycolic acid cream with moisturizing ingredients because Glycolic acid may dry and irritate the skin.
During microdermabrasion, your doctor will apply microscopic crystal particles to remove the outer layer of the damaged skin. This treatment will help promote new collagen growth and fade dark spots.
5. Skin Brightening Cream
Skin Brightening Cream includes essential ingredients that help lighten your skin. It can also help reproduce the skin cells and remove dark spots, acne, and freckles. But, this method needs more time to work, it will take several months to decrease the appearance of dark spots.
When to See Your Doctor
If you have the following symptoms, you need to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
- Black spots on the skin persist for a long time.
- Accompanied by symptoms such as easy fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, and loss of appetite.
- Black spots appear in the mouth or mucous membranes.
- After home treatment, symptoms have not improved.
How to Prevent Dark Spots on Skin
- Drink plenty of water every day to keep your skin hydrated.
- Try to avoid too much of cosmetics containing chemicals.
- Do not use too much makeup and always remember to remove makeup before going to bed.
- Make sure to wear sunscreen when you go out under the sunshine.
- Avoid exfoliating your skin if you have lesions, sores, or open wounds.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables to avoid Vitamin deficiency.
- Use moisturizer and lotion to prevent the dryness of the skin.
- Exercise regularly to help skin eliminate toxic substances and dirt.
- If the skin becomes red and swollen, seek medical help as soon as possible.
If you know other solutions on how to get rid of dark spots on face and other scars, please share it with us!