Most people have moles, and the average person has an average of 10 to 40 moles. Moles on the skin are the result of clusters of melanocytes. These cells can make natural colors and protect the skin from ultraviolet radiation. Moles are a common type of skin growth and usually appear as small dark brown spots. They usually appear when the pigment cells suddenly grow abnormally.
Moles can appear alone or in groups on any part of the skin. Moles usually appear in childhood and adolescence. Some moles may turn black during adolescence and pregnancy due to sunlight. They can appear in various parts of the body.
The appearance of the mole can be different from one person to another. Some may have flat and dark moles, while others will have protruding moles that are light-colored.
Studies have found that most moles are harmless, and they rarely become cancerous. However, in rare cases, it may be a symptom of melanoma skin cancer. So you need to monitor for abnormal moles, bumps, and pigmented spots.
An ordinary mole has a smooth surface, uniform color, clear edges, and a diameter of about 5-6mm. Compared to normal moles, cancerous moles have a specific look, and they tend to change in shape, color, and size. It will be wise to seek the doctor’s advice if you suspect that your mole may be cancerous.
If your mole is regular and you would like to get rid of it, do not undergo mole removal surgeries and treatments just yet. Why not try doing some home remedies to get rid of your moles first? You may never know; these methods may work.
The Main Causes of Moles on Skin
There are various reasons why some people have more moles than others. If you have a lot of moles, these are the possible reasons:
- You have overactive melanocytes that are causing too much melanin. The increased melanin can lead to protruding moles.
- If you are normally exposed to sunlight, you will become more prone to developing moles on your skin.
- If you have oily skin and your sebaceous glands work overtime, this may give rise to moles on your skin.
Some moles form while people are still babies, while others develop moles as they grow older. Genetics can play a significant role in the number of moles in a person’s body.
Types of moles on the skin
There are many types of moles; the common types are:
- A common mole (nevus): They are usually small and brown, pink or tan, have a distinct edge.
- Dermal melanocytic nevus: They are raised, pale and hairy.
- Junctional melanocytic nevus: They are usually brown, round, and flat lesions.
- Congenital nevi: That is present at birth.
- Compound melanocytic nevus: They are light brown, hairy, and raised above the skin.
- Dysplastic nevi: They are uneven, color, and edges and normally bigger than normal.
A dysplastic nevus usually has no obvious edges, has mixed colors, and is larger than common moles. Although most dysplastic nevus will not become a melanoma, people with this type of mole are more likely to develop melanoma. If you notice a change in the size, shape, or color of the mole, or itching, bleeding, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
What Does Moles Look Like? (Picture of Moles on Skin)
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Moles on Skin
The number one reason people use home remedies instead of the usual treatments is the expenses they have to pay. Although it may take longer to obliterate the mole, home remedies are also useful.
If bleeding occurs when you try to remove the mole, contact your doctor immediately to prevent skin infections.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This list will not be complete without the ACV, which is considered one of the most sought-after home remedies at present.
Apple cider vinegar is acidic and can dry out moles. You will find that the mole becomes dry, scabs, and disappears after a period of time.
- Dip a cotton ball in ACV.
- Place the cotton ball on top of the mole.
- Leave on the skin for about 5 hours.
- You would need to do this until the mole starts to form a scab.
- After some time, the mole will remove on its own.
2. Banana Peel
If you like bananas, but throw away the peel. Then you missed an effective way to remove moles on the skin. Banana peel contains some natural acids and enzymes, which can effectively eliminate moles.
- Place a small piece of a banana peel on the mole.
- Make sure that the inside of the banana peel will be facing towards the mole.
- Place a bandage over the banana peel.
- Leave on the affected portion overnight.
You may not like the smell of garlic. But it is effective for various skin problems. Allicin in garlic is rich in nutrients, including saturated fat, vitamins, and trace minerals such as iodine, sulfur, and chlorine. These substances can help remove moles and spots on the skin.
- Crush a garlic clove to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the mole.
- Leave it on the mole overnight.
- This can be done every day for about three weeks so that the mole can be removed successfully.
This may be something you use when you want your wounds to get better, but this time, you can also immediately get rid of your moles. Iodine will be able to dry out the area of the mole so that the mole will eventually fall off from your skin.
- Apply a drop of iodine and place it directly on the mole.
- You need to ensure that the iodine will not affect the surrounding area or the skin around the mole.
- This can be done twice a day for a week before you can start seeing results.
5. Lemon Juice
If you have always loved lemonade, then you will commonly have a lot of lemons at home. You can use lemons to get rid of the lemon efficiently. This is meant to make your mole lighter before it will scab and fall off your skin. This is a bit different from all other remedies that will make the mole darker before it falls off.
- Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice and place directly on the mole.
- Place a tape on the cotton ball.
- Leave on the skin for about 20 minutes.
- You can do this once or twice a day.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is also one of the common methods to get rid of moles on the skin. For hundreds of years, people have been using it to treat various skin problems.
It has astringent properties and can make moles dry, scab, and fall off on their own. In addition, tea tree oil is natural without any side effects.
- You need to place a small piece of cotton dipped in tea tree oil directly over the mole.
- Place a bandage on it to keep the mole in place.
- Keep on the affected area of the skin for as long as you can.
7. Coconut Oil
Many people consider coconut oil as one of the main staples that they should have at home. There is no doubt that coconut oil is going to be useful for a lot of purposes. This time, it can help get rid of your moles on the skin.
Coconut oil contains a kind of fat known as “medium-chain triglycerides.” This can improve the skin and allow the skin to get rid of the moles naturally.
- Just place a drop of coconut oil on the mole.
- Leave it on the mole and go about with your errands as usual.
- You can try this method twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.
- You will start seeing the results after a week.
8. Aloe Vera
What do you know about Aloe Vera? Most people know that Aloe Vera can help your hair longer and thicker. But you may not know that aloe vera can also help remove moles on the skin.
Aloe Vera contains Aloe vera gel that will allow it to improve the natural radiance of your skin. This takes longer to get rid of moles compared to the other items that are listed here.
- Clean the area beforehand to prepare it for mole removal.
- Apply fresh Aloe Vera gel to the mole.
- Cover the mole with a bandage.
- Leave the bandage on the mole for about 3 hours.
9. Onion Juice
Onion Juice can provide a painless way to remove moles on the skin without surgery. Onions contain natural acids that can make the mole fall off easily. This is safe to use, and you will have no problems with it as long as you are not allergic to onion’s natural acids.
- Grate the onion and get its juice.
- Apply the onion juice to the mole.
- Leave the onion juice in the affected area for an hour.
- Rinse off with water.
10. Pineapple Juice
You can expect to do different things with pineapple juice, and one of these things is mole removal. Pineapple juice contains high levels of citric acid, which can help remove the moles from your face with ease.
If you applied the pineapple juice to the mole regularly, this would make the mole disappear.
- You can get a small slice of pineapple and place it in the affected area.
- Leave the juice on the mole for a few minutes.
- Wash it off.
- You should do this regularly to make the mole disappear completely.
There are different home remedies that you can do that will effectively remove the moles from various parts of your body. Some may work better than others, so make sure that you make the right choice.
What’s the difference between moles and skin tags?
Although skin tags and moles look alike, they are completely different. Skin tags are harmless and usually occur in areas of skin folds, such as the groin, buttocks, eyelids, neck, and armpits.
Moles are formed by clusters of melanocytes and usually appear on areas of the skin exposed to the sun. Common moles do not usually become cancerous, but in some rare cases, they can become melanomas.
How to Prevent Moles on Skin?
To prevent more moles from developing on your skin, here are a few tips to remember:
Skin protection: Studies have found that ultraviolet radiation is associated with an increased risk of melanoma. If you need to stay in the sun, make sure you are well protected.
You can choose long-sleeved clothes, UV protective clothing, sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat to protect your skin. In addition, avoid tanning lamps and sunbathing, increasing UV exposure and increasing the risk of skin cancer.
Choose the right sunscreen: You need to apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, which can effectively prevent ultraviolet radiation. You need to reapply every two hours during outdoor activities such as swimming and running.
Limit sun exposure: Usually, the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm. If you need to go out for activities, try to avoid this time period, even in winter or cloudy days.
Check your moles: Check your moles frequently. Changes in the appearance of the mole may indicate that it is cancerous. If you find something unusual, you need to seek medical help immediately.
Exfoliation: One of the main causes of moles is the accumulation of dead skin cells on the skin. Using a scrub to exfoliate can help prevent moles on the skin.