You may be familiar with Oregano because it is one of the herbs you commonly use in your kitchen. You use it to flavor your meat, and you may even include it in some of your pasta dishes. It can make a lot of dishes taste better because of its distinct taste. Do you realize that this widely used herb can have other uses that are not related to food? That is right, oregano in oil form can give you a lot of benefits.
How Oregano Essential Oil is Acquired
The oil of oregano is acquired from its leaves and the flowers of the Oregano plant. This is mainly a part of the mint family, but it has a distinct taste and smell. While this originally started to grow in Europe, it is now being grown in various parts.
Ever since the beginning of time, Oregano has already been used. Ancient people used it for medicinal purposes, and up to now, these medicinal purposes are still applicable. While all types of oregano can have oil extracted from them, only certain varieties actually have some benefits as long as the oregano comes from the variety Oreganum Vulgare. If you do not see any from that variety, it is best to look for other types.
To get Oregano essential oil, the leaves go through the process of steam distillation. The oregano leaves that are used should be fresh. Once enough oil is acquired, they may be placed in different containers so they can be sold. The ones you will see in the grocery store may not be the type of Oregano essential oil you are searching for. You may have to look for the right type in specialty stores.
The Benefits and Uses of Oregano Essential Oil
Now that you have learned some facts about Oregano essential oil and how the right type of oil can be acquired, you can now get to know the many benefits and uses that you can get from it, such as the following:
- Oregano essential oil can help in protecting you against different organisms found in the environment.
You may not realize it, but you are always exposed to different organisms that may cause some problems in the long run. For example, if you have a love for anything raw, there is a possibility that you will be exposed to some organisms that may harm you. You can get rid of these organisms by taking Oregano oil.
- Look for oregano oil in supplements or capsule form
- It is best to consult your doctor about the mg of oregano oil present through supplements or capsules.
- Take the supplements when you have to.
- Oregano essential oil can help women get rid of stomach cramps during menstruation.
Different factors can affect women whenever they get their period. For example, some women get irregular periods. Some do not get their periods regularly. If you are a woman who wants to get rid of these issues, then you can take oregano oil.
- Oregano essential oil can be good for digestion too.
If there is one thing that you need in life to feel good, it is to make sure that your digestive system is working properly. You know that to improve your health, you need your digestion to be in good working condition. You are recommended to undergo colon cleansing from time to time, but in between cleansing, you can use oregano oil to stop the build-up of toxins and food.
- Oregano essential oil can help you whenever you are suffering from allergies.
There is a big possibility that you usually suffer from allergies because of the different things you are exposed to. For example, you may suffer from allergies whenever you eat seafood. You may also get allergies whenever you inhale the dust. Oregano can be highly effective in soothing the different symptoms that you may feel. This can be a good alternative if you do not want to take antihistamine medications but want to improve your current condition.
- Oregano essential oil can even aid in helping you lose weight.
Many people are currently not happy with their weight, and they would like to lose weight. Are you hoping to lose a bit of weight too? Then using oregano oil can give you an advantage. Oregano contains the ingredient carvacrol that can lessen the chances of people gaining weight even if they eat a lot of food. This has been tested in mice before, and those who consume oregano gained a lesser amount of weight than those who did not consume anything.
- Oregano essential oil can prevent you from acquiring colds or flu
You have to remember that oregano oil is not a cure for colds or flu, but you may want to stop it from happening by using oregano oil if you feel that you are about to get colds.
- You may take supplements or capsules that contain oregano oil
- If you do not have any supplements, you can place a few drops of oregano oil on an empty capsule.
- Take the oregano oil about 2 – 3 times every day until you start to feel better.
- Using Oregano can help get rid of some aches and pains
What can stop you from doing all the things that you want? Whenever you experience pain, you tend just to take a step back and just rest. Pain can hinder you from finishing your tasks and from doing the rest of your work. To get rid of the discomfort, you can use Oregano oil and apply it topically on your skin.
- Mix oregano oil with olive oil.
- Place the essential oil mixture on affected parts of your body, especially on parts where you feel pain.
- Massage for a few minutes.
- You may choose to wash it off or just let it stay on your skin.
- Oregano essential oil can be effective in combating aging
If there is one thing that is considered popular now, it is to age as gracefully as possible. Many people are trying their best not to age even though they know that it is inevitable. Do you normally go to your dermatologist to get some treatments on your skin? Perhaps the use of oregano can also help. Oregano contains a lot of antioxidants that can help get rid of the toxins found on the skin. As toxins are removed, the skin stays younger, longer.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of different types of parasites found in your body.
Different types of parasites may live in and out of your body. You do not want parasites to make you their host, and you can get rid of them using oregano oil. You need to ingest oregano oil to get rid of intestinal worms. If in case the parasites that you are dealing with are outside, you can apply them topically.
- Mix oregano oil with your choice of essential oil.
- Rub on the affected area of your skin gently.
- You may have to do this more than once a day.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of some bugs.
This is not really something that can benefit your body, but this can benefit your health in the long run. You are aware that mosquitoes and other flying insects are disease carriers. When you become bitten by mosquitoes, you may get some health conditions that are hard to cure, like Dengue Fever and even the newly dreaded Zika Virus. Adding oregano oil with some water can already be an effective organic bug spray.
- Mix oregano oil and another essential oil of your choice with water.
- Place in a spray bottle.
- Spray in places wherein you suspect that different bugs may reside.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
Some people get UTI because it is in their genes, while others only get it once every few years or so. Basically, you will know if you have UTI, have trouble peeing, and feel pain in your lower abdominal area. Different home remedies can get rid of UTI, and oregano oil is one.
- You need to use dried oregano for this one to make oregano tea.
- Place a teaspoon of that in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- You can remove the dried oregano after 10 minutes.
- Drink the tea while it is still warm.
- You can do this twice a day.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of fungal infections
Different types of infections that oregano can cure, and fungal infection is just one of them. It can be effective in getting rid of the athlete’s foot and even candida. If you are suffering from a fungi nail problem, the use of oregano oil can be effective as well.
- You can apply oregano oil topically on the affected area of the skin.
- Just make sure that you will mix it with another essential oil first to make it more potent.
- Do this 2 – 3 times a day until you begin to see the difference.
- Oregano essential oil can help cure you of amoebas
Some people experience symptoms of amoebiasis, usually when they are exposed to contaminated food and water. Some reports state that oregano oil can be even more potent than some of the antibiotics you may find. Aside from amoeba giardia, other foodborne illnesses may be avoided because of oregano essential oil.
- Oregano essential oil can also help get rid of certain skin conditions.
Some people have been suffering from various skin conditions like acne and rosacea. Some medications can help get rid of the symptoms of these conditions, but if you want home remedies, using oil of oregano will help a lot. Just remember that you need to dilute oregano oil first before placing it directly on the affected area of the skin. If it is too strong, you may end up making your skin more irritated.
Precautions in Using Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil comes with many benefits but remembers that if you would place too much, you are increasing the chances of your skin being irritated because of the different components that can be found in oregano oil. Here are some other things you ought to remember:
- You are not recommended to take Oregano oil in any form if you are pregnant or nursing. There is a possibility that oregano oil can lead to self-induced labor.
- Before including oregano oil as part of your diet, it is best to consult your doctor about it.
- Some people may be allergic to oregano oil. Double-check if you are allergic to it first before you can use it.
Other Essential Oils to Blend with Oregano Oil
If you use oregano essential oil topically, it will help you blend it with other essential oils to lessen the chance that you will get some allergies because of it. At the same time, mixing it with other oils will make it work better. Other oils you can mix it with are the following:
There are still many more than you can use with oregano oil depending on the benefits you would like to get.
With all of the details you have learned about oregano essential oil, are you ready to include it in your diet? Remember to consult your doctor about it first to be sure. Once you have been given the signal, you can start consuming oregano oil and reap its benefits.