Freckle is a common skin lesions. They are usually round brown spots of different sizes on the skin. Although you may find them anywhere on your body, they often appear on the most sun-exposed areas, such as the face, neckline, shoulders, and hands. The leading causes of freckles are sun exposure and hereditary or hormonal imbalance. Some people are born with freckles because of genetics.
Freckles are not harmful. There are some cosmetic treatments to remove them permanently, but they are costly. Fortunately, you may opt to try some natural treatments. Read on for the 13 most effective remedies to remove freckles.
13 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Freckles Naturally
Lemon juice is one of the most effective natural remedies for treating many skin imperfections, such as freckles, acne, and scars. It is a natural whitening agent that can help make freckles lighter. Constant use of lemon juice can help freckles disappear over time.
- Squeeze a whole lemon and apply the juice directly to the affected skin area.
- Massage lightly by making circular motions with your fingers for 15-20 minutes.
- Let the lemon juice stay on the skin for about 10 minutes.
- Wash your face with water and dry it.
- Apply the moisturizer and massage again.
- Do this twice every day until the spots disappear.
You can also exfoliate the skin with lemon and sugar.
- Cut a lemon in half
- Sprinkle it with half a teaspoon of sugar
- Gently rub the skin with it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the skin with cold water.
Repeat this 1-2 times a week.
Warning: Do not apply this trick before exposure to the sun because the lemon is photosensitizing.
Some people are not that familiar with papaya. Papaya is a fruit used in many whitening products in different parts of the world. Papaya juice contains papain, an enzyme that can help relieve freckles naturally.
- Cut the papaya into small pieces and mash it until you form a paste.
- Place the papaya paste on the affected areas of the skin with cotton and rub gently.
- Leave it there for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the papaya paste with cold water.
- Do this once every day until you get the desired results.
The cream has an ingredient called lactic acid that can effectively remove blemishes on the skin. It can peel the upper layer of the skin so that the freckles will start to lighten up. This method benefits people with sensitive skin, as the cream does not cause irritation or dryness.
- Apply the sour cream on the affected skin area and let it dry for 5-10 minutes.
- Massage it gently until the skin absorbs it.
- Wait for it to dry.
- Wipe it off with a wet tissue after about half an hour and apply a moisturizer.
- Apply this 1-2 times a day until freckles are removed.
The sulfur content of onion makes it one of the best home remedies that can be used to get rid of freckles and brown spots. The sulfur in the onion can help exfoliate the skin, thus reducing the number of blemishes that can be seen. For best results, you’d better use red onion more than white onions.
- Cut one onion into thick slices.
- Rub the raw onion slices on the affected areas of the skin.
- Do this twice daily for about a month or so until the freckles fade.
- Extract the onion juice and apply it to the freckles.
- You can do this twice a day.
- You can also add a tablespoon of vinegar to the onion juice to get a better result.
- Do this 1-2 times daily for a week.
Tomato is rich in lycopene which is good for the skin. It also has a lot of suitable components that can be good for the body. It can also help get rid of freckles.
- Get a large tomato.
- Wash the tomato to ensure it is free from possible fertilizer and other germs.
- Mash the tomato and place it on the skin affected by freckles.
- Massage the pulp unto the skin to allow the juice to be absorbed.
- Leave on the skin for about half an hour.
- Wash with the use of cold water.
You may be surprised by this, but many dairy products contain bleaching properties that can efficiently get rid of freckles. You can apply dairy products like buttermilk directly on the skin or make a mask.
- With the use of buttermilk, place it directly on your freckles.
- Leave the buttermilk on the face for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- You should do this twice every day for about three weeks.
Castor oil is one of the most effective home remedies for skin inflammations. It has healing properties that help remove acne, sunburns, and freckles.
- Apply castor oil to the affected area of the skin. You may choose to cover it with a bandage or not.
- Leave it on your skin overnight.
- Wipe off with a clean cloth in the morning.
- You should do this every day until the results start to show.
There are a lot of people who are not aware that Vitamin E is good for the skin. Many available products now contain a certain amount of Vitamin E that can help eliminate freckles and other skin problems you might have.
- Get a vitamin E capsule.
- Prick the end of the vitamin E capsule with a needle.
- Place vitamin E in the affected area of the skin.
- Leave this on overnight.
- In the morning, wash off with cold water.
- Wipe with a soft cloth afterward.
It is no surprise that turmeric is included in this list probably because it is known to be one of the most effective home remedies for various skin conditions that our ancestors have done for a long time. Turmeric can help get rid of freckles on your skin.
- Get a teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix in a bit of water.
- Mix the two.
- Place the paste on the freckles and let dry.
- Once it is dry, make it into the scrub and gently scrub it on your face.
- Wash your skin with lukewarm water.
- You can do this as many times as you want.
Many people are unaware that eggplant is rich in antioxidants, which make them healthy. They can also be used as an adequate remedy against blemishes to be removed considerably after some time.
- Slice a small eggplant.
- Place the slices in the areas of the skin that are affected by freckles.
- Rub the eggplant slices on the areas of the skin. Do this gently.
- After rubbing, leave it on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- Notice that your freckles start to light up after a few weeks of this natural home remedy.
Honey is another effective way to remove freckles. It contains enzymes that help tone skin pigmentation. It also has natural moisturizing and emollient properties that help soothe irritated skin and reduce free radicals to rejuvenate the skin. On the other hand, honey can strengthen the skin tissues and help relieve Itchy skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey with a few drops of water.
- Apply the mixture directly to the affected area with a cotton swab.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash the face with lukewarm water and apply a moisturizer.
- Note that you should use 100% natural honey. Read the labels before you buy.
- The herbal mask is one of the most effective home remedies for freckles.
- Mix a little hot honey with wheat germ to make a herbal mask.
- Put this mask on your face for 10-15 minutes, then wash with warm water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week for one month until you get the desired results.
- You can also make a mixture of honey and milk. Apply it on the face for 20-30 minutes a day.
Argan oil, originally from Morocco, is a natural oil rich in vitamin E, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants. It can help nourish, soften, rejuvenate and regenerate the skin of the face. It can also help neutralizes free radicals to reduce wrinkles and desiccation. It can be used for pregnant women to moisturize the skin and remove stretch marks.
- Apply the argan oil to your face with your finger.
- Leave it in the affected area for 1-2 hours.
- Gently massage and wipe off with clean water.
- You can do this 1-2 times daily until the freckles disappear.
Note that you can use the argan oil on your entire body, such as your face, chest, leg, hair, etc. However, it would help if you used it in a dark environment because it is photosensitizing.
Milk is another effective method to reduce freckles. It has a lot of vitamins and nutrients that can help make your skin soft and supple.
- Put the milk on the affected area and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and apply a moisturizer.
- You can do this 1-2 times a day for three weeks.
You can also make a paste with powdered milk and oatmeal.
- Apply this paste to the freckles and let it dry for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water
- Do it once a day until the freckles fade.
With these home remedies mentioned above, you do not need to invest much money. They can help you get rid of freckles fast and naturally.