Sometimes when you wake up in the morning, you will find puffy eyes In the mirror. These swollen eyes not only make you uncomfortable but also make you look sick and tired. The main cause of puffy eyes is the fluid accumulation under the eyes. If you drink too much or cry, your eyes will appear swollen. Fortunately, there are some useful home remedies that you can try to get rid of puffy eyes. Here are the 12 best home remedies you can try.
What Causes Puffy Eyes?
Puffy eyes can occur for various reasons. Some common causes include lack of sleep, excessive consumption of alcohol and salty foods, allergies, sinus problems, aging, and dehydration.
When you experience puffy eyes, it is often due to fluid accumulation and inflammation in the delicate tissues surrounding the eyes. By addressing the underlying causes and adopting these easy home remedies, you can effectively reduce and eliminate puffy eyes.
12 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes Fast
This may not be an obvious remedy for puffy eyes, but this is very effective. By placing cold spoons on your eyes, you can help tighten the skin around the eye area. This will help relax the blood vessels that may be inflamed because you have acquired puffy eyes.
- You need a few pairs of spoons.
- Place these metal spoons in your refrigerator for about 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
- The rounded portion of the metal spoon should be set against your eyes.
- Wait for the spoons to become warm.
- Replace the warm spoons with cold spoons.
Egg white has anti-inflammatory properties that can help improve your eye blood circulation and eliminate swollen eyes.
Moreover, egg white is a natural astringent that can help tighten the skin around the eyes and eliminate the puffiness under your eyes. In addition, it can help reduce wrinkles around the eyes.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Whip the egg whites.
- You can put a few drops of witch hazel to make this more effective.
- Using a soft cloth, apply it to the puffy eye area.
- Allow the mixture to dry.
- You may need to do this every time that your eyes are puffy.
Potatoes are well known because they can be cooked and enjoyed, but they can also be effective in some home remedies. Removing the puffiness of your eyes is one of the things that it can do effectively.
Potatoes contain starch that can help eliminate eye bags and puffy eyes. Starch has effective anti-inflammatory properties. Aside from getting rid of eye puffiness, you may also use potatoes to get rid of dark under-eye circles.
- Prepare a potato.
- Make sure that you will wash it. Do not forget to peel off the skin.
- You need to grate the potato to get its juice.
- Once you have extracted the juice of the potato, apply it to the eye area.
- Allow the juice to stay on the under-eye area until it dries.
- You need to do this several times until you notice that your eyes are not too puffy anymore.
Do you know that hydrating yourself is one of the best things you can do to eliminate puffy eyes? When you are hydrated properly, your body will not feel the need to retain water which can cause puffiness and bloat.
Taking about 8 glasses of water daily can also remove unwanted toxins from your body.
- The amount of water a person needs to drink will differ depending on various factors, but to be safe, you must drink about 8 – 10 glasses of water every day.
- Do not forget to drink water upon waking up in the morning.
- Reduce the amount of salt that you are going to consume.
- Caffeinated drinks will also make you dehydrated, so try to limit your caffeine intake.
You already know that tea can be good for you. The different teas you can take come with various benefits. For example, chamomile tea is best known for its ability to relax you after a long and tiring day.
On the other hand, green tea can help jump-start your metabolism so that it will be faster for half an hour or so.
The used tea bags can still be useful, so do not dispose of them yet. You can use these tea bags to eliminate the puffiness around the eye area.
- Place the used tea bags in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Close your eyelids and place the tea bags on your eye area.
- Continue to close your eyes and relax for about 15 minutes or until you feel the tea bags start to get warm.
- You can do this twice a day to completely eliminate the puffiness of your eyes.
Have you ever wondered why there are people who normally place cucumber slices on their eye area? They are not doing this merely for fun; they do this to get rid of the puffiness around the eye area.
At the same time, this is also effective for eliminating dark circles under the eyes. Cucumbers contain enzymes that can help reduce inflammation around the eyes.
- Make sure that you will refrigerate the cucumbers before slicing.
- Slice thickly.
- Close your eyes.
- Place the slices on your eyelids for about 10 minutes.
- When you feel the cucumber slices start to warm, you can replace them with new slices or do it again within the day.
- You may have to do this about 2 – 3 times daily to get the best results.
You may find this surprising because salt is known to make anyone bloated, but the effect will be different if you use HOT water with salt. The water build-up that has formed underneath your eyes will be removed effectively through salt water.
- Mix salt with hot water.
- You may need to cool down the water to avoid scalding.
- Dip the cotton balls into the salt solution you have created.
- Place over your eyes for a few minutes.
- Do this for about 20 minutes.
- You may want to repeat the process to eliminate your eyes’ puffiness further.
Whenever you hear about Aloe Vera, you assume it will be used for your hair or other portions of your skin. Aloe Vera is known to promote hair growth, but it can also be effective in getting rid of your puffy eyes.
Aloe Vera contains Vitamin E and antioxidants that can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Not only will you get rid of your puffy eyes, but you can also make your eyes look brighter and younger.
- Get the gel directly from the Aloe Vera leaf.
- Ensure you will not apply the gel directly on your eyes, just on the eye area.
- Leave the area for about 15- 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
Aloe Vera can help blood circulation and remove the water around the eye area.
Many people are not aware that strawberries can be effective in getting rid of puffy eyes. At the same time, strawberries can make the skin look young.
It can also make the skin smoother, so if you have blemishes, you may use strawberries for the other areas of your skin. If you place this under your eyes, you can reduce the inflammation around your eyes.
- Chill strawberries for about half an hour.
- Get rid of the strawberry tops. You will use the rest of the strawberries for your eyes.
- Slice the strawberries thickly.
- Place the slices under your eyes.
- Rest for a few minutes.
Many people become surprised that Avocado can be used to get rid of puffiness around the eye area, but this can be effective as it can lighten the dark shadows under your eyes and eliminate the inflammation in your eye area.
- Take a few slices of ripe avocado.
- Add a few ground almonds and milk.
- Mix the avocados with the other ingredients until you form a paste.
- Place underneath the eyes.
- Wait for a few minutes.
- Rinse the area.
- You may have to do this several times until the puffiness disappears.
What is the main reason why you normally take Vitamin E supplements? It is to improve the overall condition of your skin.
If you do not get enough Vitamin E, there is a bigger possibility that your eyes will be a bit puffy. Vitamin E can help reduce the swelling around the eye area.
- Prepare chilled water.
- Add a few drops of Vitamin E.
- Dip cotton balls or a clean cloth.
- Apply on the eye area. Make sure that your eyes are closed.
- Do this for about 20 minutes.
- Your eyes will feel and look refreshed after.
There is a possibility that the puffiness of your eye area is caused by lymphatic fluid. If you suspect this is the culprit, you can get rid of the puffiness by doing an eye massage. If you have never done it before, do not worry because it is straightforward.
- Gently massage the eye area in round, circular motions.
- Do this for a few minutes when you wake up and notice your eyes are puffy.
- You can also do this mid-day if your eyes are getting puffy because of all your work.
- You can also do this massage before going to sleep at night.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can lack of sleep cause puffy eyes?
Yes, lack of sleep is a common cause of puffy eyes. When you don’t get enough rest, your body retains excess fluid, which can accumulate around the eyes and result in puffiness. Ensure you get 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night to minimize the risk of puffy eyes.
How long do puffy eyes typically last?
The duration of puffy eyes can vary depending on the underlying cause. In most cases, puffy eyes tend to resolve within a few hours or a day. However, if the puffiness persists for an extended period or is accompanied by other symptoms, it’s advisable to consult a healthcare professional.
Are there any preventive measures for puffy eyes?
Yes, you can take several preventive measures to minimize the occurrence of puffy eyes. These include getting enough sleep, managing allergies, reducing salt and alcohol consumption, staying hydrated, and practicing good skincare habits.
Can allergies contribute to puffy eyes?
Yes, allergies can contribute to puffy eyes. When you are allergic to certain substances, such as pollen or pet dander, your body releases histamines that can cause swelling and inflammation, leading to puffy eyes. Identifying and managing your allergies can help prevent or reduce puffy eyes.
When should I seek medical attention for puffy eyes?
In most cases, puffy eyes can be effectively managed with home remedies. However, seeking medical attention is recommended if you experience severe and persistent puffiness accompanied by pain, redness, vision changes, or discharge. These symptoms could indicate an underlying medical condition that requires professional evaluation and treatment.
Are there any lifestyle changes that can help reduce puffy eyes?
Yes, certain lifestyle changes can help reduce puffy eyes. These include maintaining a healthy sleep schedule, managing stress levels, avoiding excessive salt and alcohol intake, adopting a nutritious diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and protecting your eyes from harmful UV rays by wearing sunglasses.