One of the most irritating things that you are going to experience is having itchy armpits. When you experience it in private, you would sometimes scratch it to get rid of the itch but when you are in public, you would have to do your best to show that you are not feeling uncomfortable.
One thing you should remember is that your armpit is always prone to some issues.This article show you Itchy Armpits (Itchy Underarms) causes and treatments.
The armpit is actually a unique portion of the body. This is a spot on your skin where a bit of hair may grow and there may be a few folds that will form over time but actually, underneath the armpits, you can see a lot of lymph nodes, blood vessels and sweat glands. This explains why you are prone to getting sweaty armpits when it is hot or when you do any physical activity.
The blood vessels present in the armpits make it one of the warmest parts of your body. This is usually one of the most accurate ways to check what your current body temperature is. It is warm and it is normally sweaty – these conditions will make your armpits prone to some issues.
Causes of Itchy Armpits
What you should remember that having itchy armpits is actually a symptom of an underlying condition. There are different triggers and you have to know what these triggers are.
- Candida – This type of infection is common in various parts of the body. A lot of times, you have a bit of Candida in you but your immune system is good and it takes care of your health overall. If in case your immune system experiences some issues or is weakened, that is the time when this yeast infection may worsen and form rashes. Aside from your armpits, expect Candida in the groin area and mouth area.
- Eczema – This is an inflammation of the skin usually characterized by the scaling of the skin and blisters. There are different causes for eczema but a lot of times, this is caused by skin irritation due to the overproduction of oil. Eczema may also be triggered when the skin becomes too dry although this may not be the case when it comes to the armpit area.
- Hidradentitis Supporativa – This is not a common condition but people are aware of this due to its “reversed pimple” description. This occurs when the hair follicle becomes inflamed because of the hair follicles. The cysts that form are usually under the skin and may leak pus when triggered. Some of the wounds caused by this condition do not heal. In fact, they may form some obvious folds and holes under the skin.
- Deodorant – What deodorant are you currently using? If you are using something that does not match well with your skin then you are more likely to develop itchy armpits that may become inflamed. Look at the ingredients of your deodorant. There may be some ingredients that are causing your skin to feel itchy.
- Ingrown Hair – Do you normally shave to get rid of your armpit hair? If you do, then you are more likely to develop ingrown hair on your armpits. Your broken hair may be growing back into your skin. This may cause a pimple to appear on the surface of your skin. Not only is this itchy, this can be painful as well.
- Lymph Nodes – A lot of the lymph nodes are located at the armpit area. They usually become inflamed when your body is trying to fight off sickness or infection. If they would be fighting very hard, it may come to a point when they are already irritating and itchy.
- Psoriasis – This is an autoimmune condition wherein there is an abundance of skin cells that may cause lesions on the skin. There are different types of psoriasis available but one type only affects the folds of the skin. The patches that form on the skin may be reddish, dry and scaly. The skin affected by psoriasis may also be prone to getting lesions and some abnormal patches on the skin.
- Heat Rash – This is a type of rash that may become evident through the appearance of bumps on the underarm. At the same time, the underarms are also itchy and uncomfortable. While this may appear on different areas of the skin, they have the tendency to spread out if not treated immediately.
- Lack of Hygiene – One of the reasons why people get irritated skin is because they do not take good care of their skin. A lot of people do not clean themselves well too. Some people do not even shower regularly. You should remember that the armpit is usually moist and it is one of the warmest parts of the body. It is only common that bacteria will be present on the skin and this can lead to bacterial infection.
Home Remedies for Itchy Armpits
If you are interested to try using home remedies in order to get rid of the itch on your armpits, here are some of the remedies that you can try:
You already know how hot compress can help get rid of the pus that is found inside each raised bump on your armpit. The cold compress can be effective in getting rid of the itch and the burning sensation you are experiencing because of your skin condition.
- Place some ice cubes on a clean towel.
- Place the towel on the affected area of the skin.
- Once you have reached the 10 minute mark, rest your armpit a bit.
- Repeat the procedure again after 10 minutes.
Doing this will effectively get rid of the itch and at the same time, get rid of the inflammation of your skin.
This is commonly used for a lot of home remedies and this time, this is also effective in getting rid of the itch of your armpits. If your armpit rash is caused by a parasite, this is one of the home remedies that you can try doing.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil with extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply on the affected area of your armpit thoroughly.
- Rinse off the mixture with cold water.
Tea tree oil has antiseptic properties that can be highly effective in soothing your armpit and getting rid of the infection.
Oatmeal may be your breakfast of choice especially if you are on a diet or you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle but the oatmeal can be used for different ways. It is known to be a home remedy for the skin so it is not surprising that this is one of the home remedies you can use to get rid of itchy armpits. Oatmeal can help normalize your skin’s pH level which can lessen the possibility of infections from getting worse.
- The best type of oatmeal to use is colloidal oatmeal.
- After setting up the oatmeal in a bowl or dish, apply a few drops of your essential oil of choice.
- Place on the affected area of your skin for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with water afterwards.
- You need to do this process once every day until the armpit rash fully heals.
Is there anything that coconut oil cannot do? This is very useful in getting rid of armpit rash and this is also known to be naturally good for the skin. It can help calm down your skin so that it will stop itching and at the same time, it has properties that can allow your armpits to heal properly.
- Use extra virgin coconut oil as this is the most effective.
- Place extra virgin coconut oil on the affected areas of your armpit.
- Allow the coconut oil to be fully absorbed on the skin.
- You can do this a few times every day until the rash goes away.
One thing that can be said about baking soda is that it can be used for a wide variety of things. You can use it to clean various parts of your home and the things that it can do for your body are endless. Baking soda is the most effective if you have an armpit rash that is caused by dermatitis. Aside from having the ability to balance the armpits’ current pH level, this can also get rid of the inflammation of the skin.
- Prepare a mixture composed of baking soda and water. The ratio for this is 1:3. You can do adjustments depending on how much mixture you need.
- Apply the solution you created on the affected area of your skin.
- Rinse off the solution with cold water.
- Do this once every day until you see the rash go away.
How to Prevent Itchy Armpits
It is already obvious that you are suffering from your itchy armpits. What are you supposed to do so that you will not aggravate your condition further? The first thing you need to remember is to avoid from scratching the itchy areas of your armpit.
Though scratching will relieve the itch temporarily, there is a possibility that you will cause a break on your skin. When this happens, it will become more prone to bacteria and other viruses that may worsen your armpit’s condition.
Aside from the no scratching rule, here are the other things you can do to treat your itchy armpit:
- Stay Clean – The main reason why your armpits may be itchy is because you have not cleaned yourself up yet. Clean your armpits with mild soap and water. You will be surprised with the difference that this can make. Do this regularly too. It does not mean that just because you cleaned your armpits yesterday, you will not clean it today.
- Avoid Deodorant – If you have to wear deodorant, then only do it at times when you know that you are going to sweat a lot. If your armpits are showing some symptoms of having dermatitis or other skin conditions, you may consult with a dermatologist about what other item you can use instead of the regular deodorant. You may also try to search for a deodorant that is milder than the one you are using. This can make a lot of difference.
- Use Soothers to Get Rid of Itchy Armpits – Instead of scratching your armpits, you can use other home remedies that are known to get rid of itch the natural way. Aside from getting rid of your itch and your discomfort, these home remedies can also improve your armpits’ current condition.
- Avoid Shaving – There are other ways that you can do in order to remove the hair from your armpits. You should consider getting laser hair removal treatments. These treatments will effectively get rid of your hair without harming your skin provided that it will be done correctly by a professional. Shaving may be the primary reason why your armpit is getting irritated in the first place.
- Use Hot Compress – Even though bacteria may thrive in warm and moist places, using hot compress can help get rid of the pus that are inside the bumps that have formed on your armpit. When the pus is drained from the bumps, the bumps will start to heal.
Do remember that there are other treatments that you can do provided that you have already figured out what is causing the itch.
For example, if you suspect that the itch is caused by ingrown hair, you can use tweezers to get rid of the hair. If you have a lot of ingrown hair, ask your dermatologist to remove them from you.
When to See a Doctor
It is obvious that there are different treatments that are available in order to get rid of itchy armpits but remember that sometimes, the itch is caused by an underlying health condition.
If you are suffering from other symptoms like breathing difficulties, swelling of the face, fever and so much more, get yourself checked by your doctor immediately so that your health can be checked.