A cyst is a small non-cancerous mass under the skin. Although a cyst looks similar to a papule, it generally grows deep in the skin. Cysts are usually secreted by glands that secrete oily substances (sebum). If you look closely, you will find that it contains liquid or semi-liquid substances.
Cysts can appear on any part of your face, but they are more common on the neck and forehead. A forehead cyst generally looks like a small pea surrounded by a red and white area. Although cysts are generally painless and rarely cause health complications, many people think they are unsightly and want to get rid of them. This article discusses how to deal with forehead cysts.
Types of Cysts
Here are some of the common types of cysts that may appear on the forehead area:
- Sebum Mixture on a Blocked Skin Pore – There are times when the sebum that is naturally produced by the skin mixes with a pore that is already blocked. When they mix together, the substance becomes solid so it becomes a hard cyst located on the forehead. They are normally harmless but the way that you will remove them is very crucial. If you remove them inappropriately, except that it may scar.
- Goose Egg Caused by Trauma – What if you have accidentally hit the wall or some other hard object? This is going to cause some formation on your forehead or any other part that was hit by the hard object. The lump is going to swell up and is going to become bruised. Once again, this is something that will go away on its own but in order to remove it faster, you may want to expose it to a cold or hot compress.
- Cherry Angioma – This is a type of cyst that is usually characterized as red and tiny. They may appear in different parts of the body so they may appear on your forehead. You will know that you have it if the bumps are very smooth and they are very smooth. This is more common in women who are over 40 years old.
Out of all the cysts that may appear on the face, sebaceous cysts are the most common. If you suspect that this has caused the cyst on your forehead, you have to know for sure. Here are some of the symptoms you have to watch out for:
- The red skin surrounding the lump on the forehead
- The area is warm when touched.
- The bump is not painful.
- The pus inside the bump may be cheese-like inconsistency
If you are not sure what type of cyst you have, you need to consult with your doctor immediately just to be sure.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Cyst on Forehead Fast
Tea Tree Oil
If you would look at the ingredients of a lot of skincare products, you will see that tea tree oil is one of the most common ingredients.
This is effective because it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. You can expect that aside from your cyst, you can get rid of other skin problems effectively too.
- You need to mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil like olive oil so that it can be absorbed by the skin better.
- Apply directly to the cyst and wait for a few minutes.
- You may need to apply this thrice a day until you see the cyst start to subside.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Whenever people are asked what is one of the items that are always part of the home remedies list, ACV will always be one of the items that will be mentioned. People use ACV in order to improve their metabolism and in order to get rid of excess salt in the body but this time, ACV can also be used to get rid of the cyst.
- Apply the ACV directly to the cyst.
- Cover with a band-aid in order to make the ACV easier to absorb by the skin.
- You need to keep the bandage on the cyst for about 3 – 4 days.
- On the last day of the bandage, remove it and you will see a hard crust.
- When you pull the hard crust, the pus from the cyst will come out.
- Make sure that you will drain the cyst properly so that it will not spread anymore.
This may be the easiest home remedy that you can do in order to get rid of the cyst on your forehead. This is known to be useful for different health issues and the sebaceous cyst is no different from all of the others. Through the hot compress, the pus can be easily drained and removed.
- Make sure that the hot compress is not too hot when you apply it to your forehead otherwise you are going to risk burning yourself.
- Apply for a few minutes.
- Drainage of the cyst may happen naturally afterward.
There are a lot of people who know that castor oil can be very effective in getting rid of acne. They have used castor oil for a long time and there is no reason why you should not use castor oil now. Castor oil can make the cyst shrink.
- You need to prepare a clean cloth first and dip it in warm water.
- Place the warm cloth over the cyst before applying castor oil.
- Allow the warm cloth and the castor oil to remain on the cyst for about 20 minutes.
- The moment that you remove the cloth, you should notice that the cyst has gotten smaller.
- Remember that you should not drink castor oil just to use this as a home remedy.
If in case the cyst on your forehead was caused by getting hit by a blunt object or to any form of trauma, then you should apply ice immediately in order to make the inflammation subside. The more inflamed your cyst is, the harder it will be for you to tone it down.
- If you have an ice pack, simply fill it with ice before applying to the cyst for about half an hour.
- If you do not have an ice pack, you can use a clean cloth instead.
- Take 5-minute breaks from time to time so that your skin will not be too dry even after you have done this home remedy.
There are a lot of people who are slowly getting to know the many benefits of turmeric. It seems that people are trying to get more of it by drinking more turmeric tea or applying turmeric powder on some of their skin issues and problems.
You can expect that this will be helpful for you too. It can remove the impurities that may be contributing to the cyst.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric to warm milk.
- Mix well together.
- Take this every day and you may be surprised with the results.
There are some people who think that Epsom salt is only effective for digestion but it can do more things. This can help get rid of the infection that may be hindering your cyst from healing completely.
Epsom salt can help fight the bacteria that has caused the cyst to form in the first place.
- Place Epsom salt in the water that you will use to clean your face.
- You may use warm water first then switch to cold when you are about to finish.
- You may do this every day until the cysts start to diminish in size.
There are different things that honey can do. The key when you use honey is you need to make sure that you will be using raw and organic honey as this type of honey comes with the most ingredients that will be very effective in curing your cyst.
- You can add honey to wheatgrass that you have ground in order to make a paste.
- Apply on the cyst and cover with a bandage overnight.
- You will be pleasantly surprised when you see how small your cyst will be in the morning.
Should You Worry About the Cyst on Your Forehead?
People normally worry about the cyst on their foreheads because of the way that the cyst looks and not because the cyst is something that people should worry about. How will you know if you should start worrying? Here are some of the signs to watch out for:
- The cyst may be caused by a serious wound that knocked you out and made you unconscious for a few hours.
- You have noticed some changes in your ears, your eyes, and your nose. If you notice that clear fluids are coming out of your nose and your ears, you need to have yourself checked by your doctor.
- You are starting to experience some changes that are not common. For example, your speech is starting to become blurred when you have not even drunk anything. You may also have an unexplained severe headache.
- You do not remember what has happened before you have gotten the cyst on your forehead.
Based on the things mentioned above, it is obvious that if the cyst on your forehead is caused by trauma, you should bring yourself to the hospital immediately or allow someone else to drive you to the hospital. You need to be checked immediately.
Other Tips to Remember
- If the cyst is caused by a sebaceous cyst, try your best not to hold it as you will only be spreading the bacteria to other parts of your face.
- Continue to hydrate and drink water and fluids in order to flush out the toxins that are causing the bad bacteria to thrive in your body.
- There are some anti-bacterial soaps that can help. Allow yourself to do proper research. The more that you know about how you can get rid of the cyst on your forehead, the better.
If you have tried all of the remedies above but the cyst still remains on your forehead, You should contact your doctor immediately so that you can be diagnosed and checked.