How to get rid of ringworm fast? Ringworm is a common fungal skin infection that causes a red, scaly, itchy rash. Ringworm got its name because of the pattern it forms, which is a ring shape. Also known as tinea corpus, this itchy condition is closely related to athlete’s foot (tinea pedis) and jock itch (tinea cruris).
Ringworm is often spread by direct contact with an infected individual or animal. Not only is it uncomfortable and embarrassing, but it can be hard to get rid of. Thankfully, there are several ways to treat and prevent ringworm.
With patience, diligence, and the right treatment, you can get rid of ringworm. By following a few simple steps and maintaining healthy habits, you can clear up your skin and regain your confidence. In this article, we’ll discuss 14 natural remedies to get rid of ringworm fast.
Symptoms and Causes of Ringworm
Ringworm usually begins as a flat scaly area that is itchy and reddened. The patches develop a raised border and expand, forming a rough ring. The center of the ring may be clear, red, or scaly.
This condition is a contagious fungal infection caused by mold-like microorganisms that thrive on the outer layer of the skin. The disease can spread by:
- Skin-to-skin contact with an infected person.
- Touching or petting an infected animal. Ringworm is relatively common in cows.
- In some cases, prolonged contact with infected soil.
- The infection can also spread by contact with surfaces or objects that an infected person has rubbed against or touched, such as clothes, bedsheets, and towels.
If not treated immediately, it can spread to other skin, nails, and scalp areas. You can use over-the-counter treatments such as antifungal lotions, creams, or soap.
20 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast
Your doctor may prescribe antifungal pills to get rid of ringworm in case of severe or extensive infection. For mild conditions, you can try natural remedies to treat the problem. Here are some of the effective ways to treat ringworm.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-antifungal, antiseptic properties that can kill ringworm. It is also helpful in treating other skin conditions, such as toenail fungus, athlete’s foot, jock itch, and eczema. For sensitive skin, dilute tea tree oil with water to prevent irritation.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a clean cotton ball. Apply it to the affected areas twice a day until you notice improvements.
- Alternatively, dilute tea tree oil with an equal amount of carrier oil or water before application. Follow this treatment two to three times a day.
2. Neem or Indian Lilac
One of the best natural remedies for ringworm and other skin conditions is neem or Indian lilac. This herb contains antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal antiseptic properties helpful in treating scabies, ringworm, and various skin infections. You can find neem in different forms, such as extract, oil, or fresh leaves.
- In a small bowl, combine ½ teaspoon of neem powder and one teaspoon of water. Stir to create a paste. Apply this paste to affected areas. Follow this treatment three to four times a day.
- Apply neem oil to ringworm once daily to clear the infection. Alternatively, mix ½ teaspoon of neem oil with 1 cup of aloe vera gel.
- Another option is to combine equal amounts of crushed neem leaves, sesame oil, and turmeric powder to make a paste. Apply this to ringworm.
Garlic is a common home remedy for fungal infections due to its powerful antiantifungalperties. Here’s how to get rid of ringworm with garlic.
- Peel and chop a few garlic cloves. Place the slices on the affected area. Use gauze to wrap the garlic and leave it on overnight. In the morning, replace the garlic and gauze. Follow this treatment until the infection clears up.
- Another option is to combine crushed garlic with olive oil and honey. Stir it well to make a paste and apply this to the affected areas. Cover it with gauze or bandage and let it sit for 1 hour. Remove the bandage and rinse with warm water. Repeat this treatment two to three times a day.
Read: 14 Health Benefits of Eating A Garlic Clove Every Day
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the best natural remedies for skin problems. It contains antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiantifungalperties that accelerate the healing of various skin conditions, such as ringworm, dry skin, eczema, acne, and more. It also provides soothing effects that reduce itchiness and irritation.
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf in half.
- Scoop out its gel and apply it directly to the ringworm.
- Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse the area with water.
- Follow this treatment three times daily.
You can also use aloe vera juice to treat the infection if aloe vera gel is unavailable.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
No home remedies list is complete without the inclusion of ACV. Apple cider vinegar is known for its powerful antiantifungalperties. When applied topically, it creates an acidic environment where fungi that cause infection cannot survive. Regular application of apple cider vinegar can get rid of fungi effectively.
- Clean the area and dry it.
- Soak gauze in a bowl of undiluted apple cider vinegar.
- Apply it to the infected skin and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Follow this treatment 4 to 5 times a day.
Consider adding apple cider vinegar when washing clothes to disinfect them properly.
Read: 13 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Turmeric contains potent and natural healing properties that can efficiently fight ringworm and other skin problems. This ingredient stops the spreading and growth of ringworm. It treats and soothes the skin with its antibacterial, antiantifungalti-inflammatory, antimicrobial properties.
Aside from its antiantifungalperties, this is also known to boost your immune system. Taking this will strengthen your immune system so your body can fight off various diseases more easily.
- Grate a turmeric root to extract its juice.
- Mix the turmeric juice with ½ teaspoon of water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the juice to the ringworm.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water and mild soap.
- Repeat the application three times a day to clear the infection.
Alternatively, you can apply 2 to 3 drops of turmeric oil directly onto the rashes. Follow this process three times a day.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the safest and most effective remedies for ringworm, toenail fungus, athlete’s foot, jock itch, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions. It contains Lauric Acid that acts as a strong antiantifungalnt and kills the fungus while hydrating the skin. This method provides a fast and gentle treatment process, making it safe for children and animals.
- Apply a few drops of coconut oil to the affected skin.
- Massage the area for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Follow this process three to four times a day.
- Apply coconut oil before going to bed and leave it on overnight.
For best results, use organic, unrefined coconut oil.
Lemongrass has a lot of properties that can effectively get rid of ringworm. If you check many antiantifungalams available in local drugstores, you will see that lemongrass is always one of the ingredients.
Lemongrass contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antiantifungalperties, making it an effective treatment for ringworm. It is also a natural anti-itch agent and fights the symptoms of ringworm from the inside. It also helps flush out unwanted toxins from the body.
- Add a lemongrass tea bag to hot water. Let it steep for 3 minutes, and enjoy this tea. Save the teabag, as you can use it to apply directly to the ringworm. Drink at least 3 cups of lemongrass tea daily. You can also combine it with chamomile tea for additional benefits.
- Apply used lemongrass teabags to the affected areas for about 10 minutes.
You can also apply a paste of lemongrass leaves mixed with buttermilk or lemon essential oil on the affected area.
9. Jojoba and Lavender Oils
The combination of lavender and jojoba oils is highly effective against ringworm. These oils are gentle and soothing enough and can also be used for babies. Both contain antiantifungaltimicrobial and moisturizing properties that accelerate the skin’s healing process.
- Mix 1 to 2 drops of lavender oil and one teaspoon of jojoba oil in a small bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture.
- Apply the oils to the affected area.
- Repeat the application 3 to 4 times a day until the infection is gone.
Lavender oil, when used alone, is effective enough to purge the ringworm. Mixing it with jojoba oil makes the treatment and healing fast.
10. Olive Leaves
Since ancient times, olive leaves have been used for treating various conditions due to their antiviral, antibacterial, and antiantifungalperties. When taken internally, it strengthens the immune system and aids in healing the process of the skin.
- Mix one tablespoon of powdered olive leaf extract with ½ tablespoon of olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to ringworms.
- Follow this treatment 2 to 3 times a day to get rid of the fungus.
You can also consume an olive leaf three times daily to help your body fight the infection from within.
Myrrh is an ancient medicinal herb that has been around for a long period. Egyptians have used this to embalm the mummies that we are familiar with today. Aside from embalming the dead, myrrh is also used to eliminate fleas and prevent flea bites. The medicinal properties of this home remedy are not only used for ringworms but other types of skin disorders.
Myrrh contains powerful antiantifungaltringent, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. Myrrh can also be combined with goldenseal for additional benefits. Here’s how to get rid of ringworm with myrrh.
- Combine 8 to 10 drops of myrrh oil with ½ cup of water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture directly to the ringworm.
- Follow this treatment 2 to 3 times daily until the infection is gone.
If goldenseal is also available, you can create a paste by combining equal parts of goldenseal and myrrh. Apply this paste three times a day to treat the skin.
The papain and chymopapain enzymes in green or raw papaya help eliminate dead layers of the skin, which stops the growth and spreading of the infection. It also alleviates itching and inflammation while destroying the fungus on the skin. Papaya or raw papaya is powerful against ringworm but gentle enough to be used on children and pets.
- Grind raw papaya and make a paste.
- Apply this paste directly to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it with water.
- Follow this treatment up to three times a day.
You can also rub a slice of raw papaya on the skin and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water and repeat at least two times daily.
13. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil has been shown to work like antibiotics and antiantifungalatments. It contains powerful components that can help clear infections, including ringworm. Oregano oil provides a quick and gentle healing process. You can use it alone or combine it with other essential oils for additional benefits and faster results.
- Add 5 to 10 drops of pre-diluted oregano oil in a cup of water. Stir well and drink this mixture three times a day.
- Another option is to combine 3 to 5 drops of oregano oil, 1 to 2 drops of wild thyme oil, 2 to 3 teaspoons of sweet almond oil, and 3 to 5 drops of rosemary oil. Stir well and use a cotton ball to apply directly to the ringworm. Repeat this treatment 3 to 4 times a day to clear the infection.
14. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract contains antioxidant, antiviral, and antibacterial properties that can help treat many health conditions. It can boost the immune system and provide soothing effects when applied topically. It can inhibit the growth and spread of fungal infections, making it one of the best natural remedies for ringworm.
- Mix 4 to 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract with three tablespoons of warm water.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture directly to the ringworm.
- Follow this treatment three times daily until the infection has subsided.
If you have sensitive skin or want this treatment on a child or pet, add more water to dilute the mixture further.
Honey is also known to be a good home remedy for various things. Aside from the fact that it is a natural sweetener, it is often used for skin problems. Your ringworm is one problem that can easily be solved with honey due to its antiantifungalperties.
- Apply raw honey on the area of the skin affected by ringworm. Remember that when choosing the right honey to place, look for raw and unfiltered honey. This is the best variety that will work.
- You may add honey to beeswax to make it more effective in fighting the ringworm fungal infection.
16. Jojoba Oil
The wax esters make this home remedy highly effective in treating ringworms. This is highly effective in removing several skin infections, such as ringworm.
- To make jojoba oil even more effective, add lavender oil.
- Apply on the affected area of the skin.
- Aside from effectively curing ringworm, this is also known to have a soothing effect on the skin so that the ringworm will not be too itchy.
You can use regular vinegar if you do not have ACV at home. Vinegar is acidic and can effectively kill the fungi causing ringworm. Remember that this may not be the best option if you have sensitive skin, as your skin may get irritated.
- Mix vinegar and salt until you have a paste.
- Leave on the skin for not more than 10 minutes.
- You can rinse this off with warm water.
- You will start to see some results within a week.
There are many things that ginger can do not only for ringworm but also for the whole body. If you have ever suffered from a sore throat, ginger tea may be one of the things you have prepared to make your throat feel better.
You can also use ginger to get rid of your ringworm. This is due to ginger’s antiantifungalperties that can effectively kill the fungi causing the ringworm found in various parts of your body.
- Boil ginger in water for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let ginger cool down for a while.
- Apply on the affected area of the skin.
You can also take ginger tea three times a day. The components of ginger will still affect your skin.
19. Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver contains ingredients that help eliminate microorganisms causing the fungus to thrive on your skin.
- Take note that colloidal silver can be found in two forms, namely liquid form, and gel form. Choose the one that you think will be most beneficial for you.
- You can apply this directly on your skin about 2x a day. You may need to use it more depending on the severity of the ringworm.
- Remember that ringworm can take a long time before they heal completely. Even if you start to see the ringworm getting smaller or drier, continue applying the colloidal silver on the affected area before the ringworm completely goes away.
What do you usually use basil for? Many people use basil for cooking, but this can also be used for many home remedies. Basil has some medicinal properties that can effectively eliminate the ringworm on your skin.
- You need to crush the basil leaves to make the basil juices come out.
- Apply directly to the affected areas.
- You may do this about 2 – 3 times daily for the best results.
- Remember to continue doing this remedy until the ringworm heals completely.
Ringworm is a fungal infection that can be difficult to eliminate. It may take a few days to weeks to eliminate the problem completely. With regular application of natural remedies or antiantifungalications, you can successfully clear the infection.
During treatments, avoid scratching your skin and keep your skin dry. Drink plenty of water and eat more raw vegetables. Avoid sugar, white grains, and alcohol. If your skin does not improve within two weeks, consult a dermatologist immediately.