A lot of people say that they have injured their rib cages again. This is considered common because people who get into accidents usually injure their rib cages. This is one of the main reasons why some people experience pain under left rib cage but aside from this, do you know that there are still other reasons why people feel pain?
Are you feeling pain under your left rib cage? There is a possibility that you are and you would like it to end at the soonest possible time. Pain under the left rib cage may be due to a variety of reasons. There are some who feel pain because of some of the organs that the rib cage is protecting but there are also instances when it can be because of an injury.
You may think that the pain that you are feeling in your rib cage is cause of alarm but do you know that there are still a variety of reasons why you may be feeling pain? There are times when the pain under your left rib cage is not serious at all. It will be important for you to know the various causes and the possible treatments that you can get to get rid of the pain at the soonest possible time.
What organs are on your left side of body
Causes of Pain under Left Rib Cage
Here are just some of the possible reasons why you may be feeling pain under your left rib cage:
- Gas Stuck in the Colon – There is a chance that you have gas stuck in your colon. The amount of gas that is stuck may be excessive. Usually, you can feel the pain reverberating from the upper portion of the left side of your abdomen towards the left side of your ribcage.
- Irritation on the Spleen – There is a chance that your spleen has already ruptured because of various reasons and this can cause some pains on the left rib cage. In order to know if the type of pain that you are experiencing is also due to this, you may also want to see if you are experiencing other symptoms like pain on your left shoulder tips.
- Broken Rib – This is probably one of the most common reasons why you are experiencing pain under your left rib cage. There is a possibility that you are feeling pain under your left rib cage because you have broken your rib. Ask yourself if you have been into any accident lately or if you have hit yourself unexpectedly. This may be just one of the reasons why you have broken your ribs.
- Acid Reflux – You may experience acid reflux if you have eaten too much food and you start to feel bad because of it. Usually the pain will start from your abdomen but it will go up until you feel the pain on your lower ribcage. This can sometimes be in the left ribcage or the right ribcage. You may think that you have a heart condition when you experience pain brought about by this condition.
- Heartburn – Heartburn is typically felt when there is too much acids on the stomach and the acids go up to near the chest area. Since the acids may typically reach below the rib cage and they should not be there, this can cause some pains.
- Costochondritis – It seems that there are some people who are not aware that Costochondritis is a condition of the infected cartilages that are holding the ribs to the breastbone. This can cause a lot of pain and trouble. Usually, people who have this condition report to have trouble breathing and the slightest movement can cause so much pain. Some people who feel this condition usually think that they are having a heart attack.
- Stomach Ulcer – If the type of pain that you are feeling on your lower rib cage is brought about by stomach ulcer, you can tell through the type of pain that you are feeling. If the pain is extremely sharp, this may be the main cause. Do remember that pain brought about by ulcer may also let people feel pain on their shoulder blades and rib cages.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – This may be another cause of the pain that you are feeling under your lower rib. Usually when people feel this, they also experience some bloating and cramps on the lower abdominal area.
- Kidney Stones – This is yet again another reason for experiencing left rib pain. Do remember that it may also affect the right rib cage if the problem is with your right kidneys. Do remember that in order to know if this is the type of pain that you are experiencing; the pain may start from your back going to the front.
- Pancreatitis – Based on the name itself, it is quite evident that this is the type of pain felt because of the inflammation of the pancreas. It will be apparent if this is the condition causing the pain when the pain becomes worse everything you try to eat or drink. You may also experience other symptoms together with this such as nausea, vomiting and even fever.
- Heart Attack – This is also known as Angina Pectoris. This is the type of left rib cage pain that you should not ignore because this can even be fatal. If you are suffering from this condition, you would need to seek medical attention at the soonest possible time.
Treatments for Pain under the Left Rib Cage
Now that you already know the possible conditions why you may be experiencing pain on your lower left rib cage, you may realize that some of these conditions are not too serious but there are also some that you should truly pay attention to. There are various treatments that you can undergo but this will depend on the condition you are suffering from.
- Have Healthier Meals – Since some of the problems that might be causing your pain are because of overeating, making sure that you will eat healthier will make a lot of difference. Not only will you start to feel better, you may experience other positive things because of this as well.
- Take Medications – There are some doctors who will require you to take medications in order to lessen the amount of pain that you are feeling or to possibly prevent certain conditions that might cause the pain.
- Surgery – In extreme health conditions and situations, you may have to undergo surgery in order to help you get cured. For instance, there are some people with kidney stones who would have to undergo surgery in order to take out the stones although at times, this may be cured naturally or through medications. People who have heart conditions may sometimes have to undergo surgery in order to prevent the condition from getting worse.
Do remember that some conditions that may be causing you to feel pain are not that serious but there are also some that would require your immediate attention. Have yourself regularly checked by your doctor so that it can be detected early if there are some problems that you may currently have.